The ATD Board of Directors sets the association's strategic direction and provides leadership to the profession and ATD’s members worldwide. A staff of 130 serves the membership.
Meet the CEO, Tony Bingham
Tony is the president and CEO of the Association for Talent Development, formerly ASTD, the world’s largest professional association dedicated to those who develop talent in organizations. Tony works with a staff of 130, a Board of Directors, and a worldwide network of volunteers to empower professionals to develop talent in the workplace.
Tony believes in creating a culture of engaged, high-performing teams that deliver extraordinary results. Deeply passionate about change, technology, and the impact of talent development, his focus is on adding value to ATD members and the global community of talent development professionals. He believes that aligning talent development efforts to business strategy, while utilizing the power of social and mobile technology for learning, is a key differentiator in business today.
Tony helped lead the transformation of the American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) into a global membership organization serving a tech savvy, dynamic, and vital profession. In 2014, the transformation culminated in a major re-branding effort that included a new name: the Association for Talent Development (ATD). This dramatic change is indicative of the organization’s portfolio expansion under Tony’s leadership:
• creation and launch of the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP®) credential
• expansion into the sales and government sectors with acquisitions of the United Professional Sales Association (UPSA), The Bureaucrat Inc., and its quarterly journal The Public Manager
• development and growth of ATD’s educational portfolio to include events and courses offered on five continents
• a restructuring of the organization’s operational efforts to focus on communities of practice
• launch of new communities focused on the science of learning and healthcare
• establishment of an association office in Shanghai, China
• engaging more than 125 domestic chapters, global networks, and international strategic partners where members convene at the local and regional levels throughout the world.
Tony’s innovation- and strategy-focused leadership ensures that ATD is at the forefront of trends and best practices in talent development, offering programs and services to help members improve individual and organizational performance through learning. Three books he co-authored, The New Social Learning and The New Social Learning, 2nd Edition (2010, 2015 with Marcia Conner), and Presenting Learning (2007, with Tony Jeary) reflect his commitment to helping the talent development profession grow its influence in organizations around the world.
Tony joined the association in 2001 as the chief operating officer / chief information officer. He became president and CEO in February 2004. Before joining ATD, Tony served as the senior vice president for technology and operations at Britannica.com.
Meet the ATD Board of Directors