ATD's Power Member campaign can assist chapters to maintain current members and regularly attain new members. Through joint membership, members can thrive within the talent development profession locally, nationally, and internationally. Chapter services has created toolkits and free marketing and collateral materials to assist chapter leaders learn how to market joint membership.
What is a Power Member? When ATD members join both their local chapter and ATD, they choose to be change makers in their own backyard and knowledge leaders in the talent development profession. Joint membership offers learning professionals a unique opportunity to connect with local, national, and international professionals. Joint members can learn about trends in the field, and gain access to research, best practices, and templates they can apply directly to impacting organizational results, their community, and advancing their career.
ATD offers two levels of membership: Professional and Professional Plus. ATD will continue to offer discounted membership rates to chapter members and chapter board members as noted below:
Power Member Rates: Professional $199/Professional Plus $319
Chapter Board Member Rates: $149*
*Chapter leaders receive a complimentary upgrade to Professional Plus membership!
Current chapter leaders may obtain the board member rate online via the ATD Store.
Key Membership Applications
JOINT MEMBERSHIP RESOURCES FOR CHAPTERS
The following resources have been designed to support ATD chapters in promoting Power Member membership. Chapters are strongly encouraged to download these resources to assist with marketing and branding efforts, and to educate potential, new, and current chapter members on the value of joint membership.
Power Member Marketing Resources:
The following supplemental resources are available to assist chapters with growing their chapter's joint membership.
ATD Member List Request Form: ATD members are good prospects for chapter members. To request the list in your area click here. The ATD member list should be used for the following purposes:
- To promote chapter membership
- To invite members to a chapter meeting or event
- To ensure CARE achievement with the chapter-ATD joint membership requirement.
ATD information is confidential and for chapter use only. ATD member information should not be added to the chapter’s weekly correspondence.
Steps for Processing ATD Memberships: ATD now has several ways to make processing ATD memberships easier for chapters. A job aid is available on how to collect and process joint membership payments as one bundle and information about how to process ATD memberships.
Ideas for Membership Growth: The National Advisors for Chapters (NAC) membership team put together two quick reference sheets to address membership engagement and top member issues/tips. Learn the steps to membership engagement with the Stairsteps of Membership Engagement and successfully manage chapter membership top issues with Chapter Membership Top 10 Issues and 100 Tips.
Engage Students: Reach out to and personally invite college students in your community to join your chapter by distributing student membership information at chapter events and campus career centers.
Chapters' Top Membership Best Practices: Access other chapters' successful membership practices through Sharing Our Success (SOS).
CARE MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS REMINDERS
All chapter board members must be members of ATD. ATD offers special membership discounts for chapter leaders. Click here for the special application for the discounted ATD membership rate for chapter leaders. If you'd like to sign up multiple chapter leaders for ATD membership in one process, you can use the chapter board team application.
CARE Joint Membership Requirement for 2015-2016:
- Joint membership requirement reduced to 35% for individual chapters.
- 50% joint membership goal to be measured in the aggregate (all chapters).
- Joint membership activities added to requirements to help chapters plan for success. Review the joint membership activities job aid.
Please work closely with your chapter relations manager and NAC advisor to ensure your chapter is preparing to achieve this goal. To request your chapter's current joint membership percentage, please contact your chapter relations manager.
HOW ATD IS SUPPORTING CHAPTERS
Check out this document for more detail about the ways in which ATD is supporting chapters. A summary of these items is listed below.
- Chapter presence on TD.org homepage.
- Chapter information included in the ATD member welcome kits.
- Mention of chapter membership in ATD acquisition mailings.
- Chapter locator and Chapter of the Month (COM) featured in ATD Links.
- Power Member ads in TD magazine.
- Customer Care promotes chapter membership when ATD members join over the phone.
- $1,000 cash prize for “Excellence in Joint Membership Growth” Chapter Excellence Award. Awarded to chapters that demonstrate the highest overall growth rate of joint chapter and ATD members.
- Chapter Incentive Program (ChIP), a revenue-sharing program that offers chapters an opportunity to earn additional revenue. Chapters earn $20 for each new ATD member and $10 for a membership renewal when a chapter's ChIP code.
- Discounted Power Member rates for Professional and Professional Plus membership of $199 and $319, respectively.
- New 2014 Power Membership Better Than Ever! brochures shipped to each chapter.
- Customizable joint membership marketing materials.
- Chapter open house event at ATD's International Conference & EXPO for all attendees.
Get more information about the benefits of ATD membership.
Chapter Membership on the ATD Store
To provide a streamlined customer experience, support joint membership efforts, and lessen administrative burdens for chapter leaders, chapter membership is now available for purchase on the ATD Store. This functionality was added based on requests and feedback received from our chapter leaders.
Benefits for Participating Chapters
- All U.S. customers will be asked if they want to join a chapter when they sign up for ATD membership.
- Customers will be able to join as a Power Member in a single transaction, and the chapter will not have to collect Power Memberships on their own websites.
- Customers will have the ability to sync the dates of their ATD membership and their chapter membership. ATD will send renewal notices to Power Members, saving chapters administration time.
- During the online membership join process, customers will be prompted to enter their zip code, which will identify the closest chapters. Customers also have the option to search for more than one chapter.
- Customers may purchase memberships to more than one chapter.
- ATD will process the financial transaction. Member information and chapter dues will be sent to the chapter.
- All chapters will be represented on the ATD Store. Customers will have the ability to request more information about chapters that are not selling membership via the ATD Store.
- Chapters will be able to renew their participation in the program annually.
- Chapters may opt out of the program with a 60-day written notice to their chapter relations manager. Chapter memberships will be removed from the store within two business days, but residual payments may continue for up to three months.
- Participating chapters will use the Wild Apricot platform because it is integrated with the ATD database.
- Chapter databases must include a physical mailing address for chapter members.
- Data from Wild Apricot must be collected and stored properly (i.e. zip codes stored in zip codes column, last name only includes last name, etc.)
- and more!
For a complete list of requirements, review the Chapter Membership on the ATD Store Requirements document.
Current Participating Chapters
Our chapter ambassadors are chapter leaders from our pilot chapters, who were closely involved with the process of adding their chapter's membership to the ATD Store. Interested chapters are encouraged to reach out to our ambassadors to learn more about the logistics involved in adding chapter membership to the online store.