Submitting Your Book Proposal To ATD Press
ATD Press welcomes proposals from prospective authors with new and innovative ideas that fit into our current publishing program. The following guidelines will ensure that your proposal is given a fair and objective review. Key to the publisher and author relationship is a willingness to partner with ATD Press to ensure your book reaches its intended audience, and that the investment made by you and ATD Press pays off. Please read carefully the following instructions and pointers before submitting your proposal to us.
Before submitting a proposal, please do the following:
1. Visit ATD Press and examine the types of book we publish and market.
Does your book proposal reflect the subject matter and approach of these titles? ATD Press publishes books of interest to our core market of talent development professionals, including trainers and those who manage and direct training programs. We also focus on general business topics and skills development topics such as project management, leadership, strategic planning, career development, organization development, and consulting.
2. Put together your proposal.
Please include the following:
A. Market Survey — Tell us how your book is different from other books written on the same subject and why ATD Press should publish it. Your survey of the market should demonstrate that you are familiar with both your intended audience and your competition. If possible, provide some realistic sales figures based on your examination of the market.
B. Marketing Plan — ATD Press is happy to provide basic marketing support for your book through its usual sales channels. However, the most critical element of your proposal is how you plan to market the book. Because marketing efforts begin as early as six months prior to the release of a title, we will need a list of all your upcoming speaking engagements or potential client engagements with sales potential. Here is a general list of questions you'll need to answer in this section.
- How many times do you speak and/or train in the intended market? Please estimate the number of potential contacts from these events. Provide a list of all speaking or training events for the coming year.
- How many books do you expect you'll need for your audiences/clients for the first 12 months after the book's publication date?
- Do you teach professional or college-level courses? If so, please provide information about these courses and possible sales leads to have your book adopted as a classroom textbook.
- Are you a member of a professional association? Do you have contacts or special relationships with these associations that might benefit sales of your book?
- Do you have potential useful media contacts in trade or major market newspapers, magazines, or other media? Do you make regular appearances on television or radio or provide content for magazine columns or online publications?
- Do you publish a client newsletter or e-newsletter? When it is published and how many names are on your mailing list?
- If not through a newsletter/e-newsletter, do you have a list of individuals that you could provide for direct marketing efforts (could be email or shipping addresses)?
- Do you have a list of likely "high profile" individuals who might endorse your book or be interested in receiving a copy of your completed book?
- Have you appeared in any local or national media publications? If so, please send a copy of these interviews or articles about you. We would also like to see examples of articles authored by you that have appeared in local or national media.
In addition to answering these questions, please explain how you will use your marketing expertise to sell your book.
C. Resume — Please enclose a detailed resume that will show us why you are the right author to write and market this book to the appropriate audience.
D. Summary of Your Book -- Include a 1-page summary that will “sell” us on the idea of your book.
E. Outline / Table of Contents of Your Book – This is an important piece of the proposal process. Your table of contents should be detailed and specific and show us exactly what will be in each chapter and how you plan to fully realize the promise of your outline.
F. Sample Chapter — Provide us with what you think is your strongest writing example.
3. Submit your book proposal document to the appropriate Community of Practice.
From the list below, select the community that best matches your book proposal, and email the community manager. We will contact you within 30 days of receiving your proposal if we believe it is a potential fit for ATD Press.
Note: If your book is accepted for publication, it takes an average of six months to complete the book production process. The timeline can vary and is subject to change, depending on editing requirements of the manuscript, length, and the publication schedule of ATD Press. Please keep this mind as you make plans to feature your book at a conference or other event.
Thank you for your interest in publishing with ATD Press, and we look forward to hearing from you!