Your course may take up to 30 minutes to be available in the ATD Learning Portal.
Human performance improvement (HPI) is a practice that focuses on identifying root causes of performance issues, which may go beyond a lack of skills and knowledge. The performance consultant makes recommendations on solutions that address issues with the goal of continually improving performance.
This on-demand course introduces the human performance improvement model and its use. Each topic focuses on a different aspect of HPI, including a tour of the model and a briefing in the history and development of HPI. Choose the topics you need and come away with a basic understanding of the HPI practice and how it differs from traditional training approaches.
- Learn the basics of human performance improvement (HPI) through focused topics.
- Hear from expert practitioners in the performance improvement field.
- Review a case study to see the application of the HPI process.
Flexible Content: Access the content at the time and pace that works best for you. Revisit and review previous content at any time during your access period.
Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learn.
Talent development professionals who are interested in transitioning to a performance consulting role. This course provides valuable foundational information necessary to success in the ATD Master Performance Consultant program.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
At the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Explain the difference between performance consulting, or HPI, and effective training.
- Identify current misconceptions about a performance-based approach.
- Identify the principles that define a performance-based approach.
- Define key terms for performance improvement.
- Identify the phases and their significance within the HPI model.
- Identify outcomes and their importance to the HPI process.
- Explain why an understanding of HPI is critical, regardless of your role.
- Identify appropriate applications of the HPI model to given scenarios.
- Distinguish between performance-based approaches and non-performance based approaches, from the beginning to the end of a project.
Take anytime, anywhere (12 months online access)
Earn .1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 1 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 1 APTD recertification points.
Full completion of the program within the one-year access period is mandatory in order to receive 0.1 CEUs. Participants who complete all aspects of the program will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal.