Essentials of Design Thinking
Innovate your L&D approaches by using five proven design thinking practices to enhance the way you approach your work. Design thinking encapsulates exactly the right mix of creativity, rigor, and flexibility appropriate for modern workplace learning and performance strategies. It is credited with producing ground-breaking products and can be incorporated into existing design processes to stimulate any creative endeavor. Weaving these practices into your approach enables you to up your game and design impactful, innovative solutions of your own.
These engaging sessions will introduce you to the core practices of design thinking: empathizing, framing, ideating, prototyping, and iterating. Moreover, the sessions will show you specifically how to apply design thinking to the work of supporting talent development. These skills will enhance your current practices, whether they be in instructional design, learning strategy consulting, performance support, organizational design, or other L&D activities. We will explore the more challenging aspects of design thinking, which include quickly sizing up audience needs, selecting the right framework for a solution, expanding the range of ideas for consideration, developing useful prototypes and effectively gathering reaction to iterate in tight timeframes. You will engage in challenging practice activities to deepen your understanding of the skills and increase your confidence in applying them. Bring some of your current challenges, and get real support for tackling them.
- Design more innovative solutions that delight clients and learners
- Incorporate specific techniques and process steps to dramatically improve your recommendations
- Make design processes fun and productive
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: Each session of the workshop is conducted in the WebEx Training Center platform with a toll-free teleconference or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) option for the audio component. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate.
This program is for talent development professionals who recognize the need to rethink approaches in order to be effective in modern contexts. Design thinking constitutes an advanced approach to design, consulting, organization design and other practices.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Apply the core design thinking practices of empathizing, framing, ideating, prototyping, and iterating in the context of your own design processes
- Deepen your understanding of learners’ perspectives in order to respond to underlying needs
- Consider a variety of frameworks for defining problems and conceptualizing solutions
- Employ specific techniques for playing with ideas in order to generate more innovative, on-target solutions
- Generate early-stage prototypes and efficiently iterate based on feedback
Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program. If you must miss a session, all sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program.