Essentials of Developing Case Studies
Case studies have been widely used to teach several academic disciplines, including medicine, law, and social sciences. To bring case studies into the corporate learning environment, you will need to think how you can modify the process for designing and developing case studies. You’ll need to make sure you produce materials that are both user-friendly and benefit the learner.
This workshop looks at ways to modify the traditional, 15- to 20 page case study scenario into a simple, 1 to 3 page scenario that still incorporates all the essential pieces of an effective case study. In today’s fast-paced business world, your learners need to be able to learn at a faster pace. This streamlined procedure makes that happen.
Although difficult to create, case studies yield many benefits, including:
- a realistic work context
- increased participant motivation
- a learner-centered method
- participant engagement in critical thinking
- a collaborative approach in the learning environment.
Because case studies require ample time to develop and teach, it is essential to determine if and when these are the right approach.
The Essentials of Developing Case Studies workshop will provide a step-by-step approach to guide you in designing and developing custom case studies for your learning programs. As a part of the program, you’ll have an opportunity to write a case study example and share it in the final session to gain feedback.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation is a completion requirement of ATD and includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This workshop is best for trainers, instructional designers, and other learning professionals who have at least one year of experience developing training programs.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Define the term “case study.”
- Identify the benefits for using a case study method versus other methods, such as stories or role plays.
- Identify when a case study is a good fit for the learning content.
- Create a case study by following a step-by-step approach to design and development.
- Write a simplified case study format (1-2 pages).
Apply the following takeaways to your own learning programs:
- a job aid to help determine when and where to use the case study method in your learning programs
- a job aid that provides a step-by-step approach for designing and developing case studies
- a template for a simplified case study format.
- Online: 3 sessions, 3.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and any applicable credits. Please note that viewing a recording will not fulfill the attendance requirement. Participants who fulfill all program requirements will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program for your review.
Click here to view our cancellation policy.