Are you using or considering games as part of your learning portfolio? How effective and efficient are the games you are using or considering? Did you know there is a solid research base regarding what makes games effective learning methods? Check out this Essentials course if you want to infuse your talent development programs with effective, research-based serious games that drive business results.
Did you know that, even though (1) serious games or games for learning are widely touted in practitioner journals and at conferences; (2) many authoring systems have even been designed specifically for game development; and (3) countless knowledge leaders are promoting the instructional value of games for learning – that few of their recommendations are based on experimental evidence of what works?! So often people are just inserting games without much thought or reason as to how it will affect positive learning outcomes.
In this Essentials course, you will learn how to make the case that the term ‘game’ is insufficient for making generalizations – as the term game can include a variety of approaches. Participants will examine the core features of a game and review several genres of commercial games and identify factors relevant to planning serious games. With that knowledge “in play” you will look at your training requirements and complete a game planner & prototype that addresses those factors. With a prototype in-hand, you will get to apply current outcomes-based research (on cognition, game methods, and games vs. tutorials) to your game, to revise, clarify and add to it. The course will also include discussions on role-play games (commonly known as scenario-based learning) to determine the appropriate uses, methods and audiences.
- Define evidence-based games and describe best use in a training situation
- Evaluate and apply the main features of evidence-based games
- Construct plans for, and design a prototype for your own game for an upcoming training event
- Model best practices and current research within game design
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: Each session of the workshop is conducted in the WebEx Training Center platform with a toll-free teleconference or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) option for the audio component. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate.
This program is for instructional designers, trainers, organizational development professionals and performance consultants who want to upgrade their courses and deliver learning experiences utilizing games – that result in employees ready to accomplish business outcomes. No matter what role you’re in, if you’re ready to master how serious games can take your training events to the next level, then this program is for you!
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Identify features and genres of digital games for learning
- Revise a game that imposes extraneous cognitive load
- Plan & sketch the main features of a game matched to participant’s learning objective and content type
- Identify criteria for valid evidence on digital games
- Distinguish among three research questions on digital games
- Apply research on the cognitive effects of video games
- Identify methods proven to improve learning from games
- Evaluate research that compares learning from a game with a traditional method
- Identify features and main genres of scenario-based e-learning
- Identify value-added features to maximize benefits of role-playing games
Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program. If you must miss a session, all sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program.