Essentials of Gamification for Talent Development
The term gamification is often misunderstood, but it simply means taking the psychology and motivation of games—fun, challenge, achievement—and applying it to real-world, nongame situations. Gamification is 75 percent psychology and 25 percent technology. Learn how to deploy a gamification strategy in your learning and development programs using a proven five-step process that takes you from design concept through implementation. It’s like getting a gold star for a good job—only better.
In this hands-on, interactive program, you will learn the five-step process of gamifiying a learning or talent development program. Add the word challenge to any activity, and watch people become intrigued. You’ll experience firsthand how gamification design is used to create change within organizations.
You will use learning and development (L&D) case studies, tactical templates, and gamification-strategy playing cards as you gather data and participate in creativity, problem-solving, and assessment activities. The goal is to increase learning and engagement through key concepts found in game design and behavioral psychology.
In each session you will use the Game the System™ Learning Map to chart your knowledge progress. Upon completion of this Essentials Series program, you will have earned your Gamification Apprentice Badge, which verifies that you have demonstrated an introductory understanding of all components used to apply this trademarked, strategic gamification design overlay to an L&D program.
- Gamification is becoming an incredibly successful industry, and organizations are seeking designers to help them explore the potential of gaming technology for talent development.
- Discover how to create a fun, collaborative gamification experience to produce behavioral and attitudinal change in education, talent development, productivity, and quality of life.
- Learn how gamification tackles challenging problems and captures measurement, behavior analysis, and engagement in ways that can provide a real-time understanding of performance.
- Use gamification mechanics and motivators to generate needed change, and enable your organization to meet your business or learning objectives.
- Map a practical method for approaching gamification in your organization.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation is a completion requirement of ATD and includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This program is for learning professionals who want to create and deliver programs with impact, whether you are a trainer, an instructional designer, or an organization development professional. If you are interested in making sure that what you design or facilitate is focused on what matters, your participants are engaged throughout the process, and when they leave they are able and willing to apply what they have learned back at work, this program is for you. No coding skills are required.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Identify who will be playing your game (target audience), and define your measurable business objectives and how gamification will help you achieve your objectives.
- Frame and wrap your quest in a spellbinding story to create a narrative thread that pulls through the entire program.
- Build the right mix of ingredients in your learning activities to allow the participants to acquire knowledge and skill, rather than merely receive and memorize information.
- Determine the game elements you will use, such as points, badges, and leaderboards, and implement game mechanics to motivate your players.
- Create an overall design that appeals to different senses and ties everything back to the other levels of the learning map.
- Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and any applicable credits. Please note that viewing a recording will not fulfill the attendance requirement. Participants who fulfill all program requirements will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program for your review.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.