Do you struggle with attracting and retaining key talent, especially when it comes to having qualified leaders in place? High-potential employees are 75 percent more likely to succeed in senior positions, and developing them is critical for your organization’s future. Gain practical information and tools to create an effective high-potential employee development program, from initial strategy through implementation and evaluation. Don’t just talk about developing your high potentials—get started now!
Putting the emphasis on developing high-potential employees can easily be neglected due to any number of factors, such as a lack of workload capacity, time, budget, or not having a solid strategy. This program gives you a head start on successfully creating and launching a high-potential employee development program that aligns with your organization’s culture and goals so you do not have to start from scratch.
The program begins by discussing aspects of high-potential development that will affect your program strategy. This includes distinguishing between high potentials and high performers, identifying high-potential talent, and weighing benefits and downsides of transparency, both about the program itself and who within the organization has high potential.
Next, we will turn our attention to designing a program framework. You will identify your key partners to help the program be successful, and will consider your target population of high potentials, such as by level within a hierarchy, by department, or by location. You will learn where to start in terms of program components and features, and determine if any infrastructure you need is missing. In the final session, we will look at measurement and evaluation of a high-potential program and what you will use to track program success criteria. We will also discuss what goes into an effective program launch and what comes next for your high potentials. Finally, you will create an action plan with an initial timeline.
- Create a high-potential development program that is tailored to the specific needs of your or your client’s organization.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy and approach to identifying and developing high potentials.
- Attract and retain high potentials to help build leadership bench strength.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: Each session of the workshop is conducted in the WebEx Training Center platform with a toll-free teleconference or VoIP option for the audio component. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program.
This program is for professionals who are looking to build and launch a high-potential development program within their organization or for their clients. Learning and leadership development professionals with experience in high-potential development or who are looking to refresh an existing program will also benefit. The workshop is intended to provide a breadth of considerations when starting a program, rather than a deep focus on any one aspect.
ATD education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organization development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resource specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Communicate the difference between high performers and high potentials.
- Determine an approach to identify high-potential employees within an organization.
- Engage key stakeholders in deciding the level of transparency for high-potential development.
- Design a framework for a high-potential employee development program.
- Create a program measurement and evaluation strategy.
- Implement an action plan to begin work on a high-potential program.
- Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program. If you must miss a session, all sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program.