Subject matter experts (SMEs), while brilliant, still have their own likes, dislikes, and even personality quirks. Working with SMEs on training projects requires being adaptable to your SME and the situation. This essentials program explores the relationship between the SME and developer from the kick-off meeting through the course development process.
A positive relationship between the SME and the developer is essential. Adopt techniques for enhancing this working relationship beginning with a strong kick-off meeting through requesting information, creating content, and reviewing drafts. Practice telling your story so that your role within the project is clear and your development plan is respected. Determine communication tools that will give you timely responses that are valuable and useful to the training content development process. Benchmark and discover best practices from other industries for how developers work with SMEs. Utilize tools, templates, and resources to efficiently and effectively work with your SMEs to create an interactive, error-free course.
This program, its concepts, and materials will provide resources you need to work with your SMEs to create training material that truly makes an impact. Join us to discover new ideas for how you can make your own SME relationships more successful.
- Attain SME buy-in and input to create valuable and error-free training content.
- Avoid project delays caused by lack of SME engagement or communication breakdowns.
- Benchmark and gain new strategies, tips, and tricks for effectively working with SMEs from the kick-off meeting all the way through development.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboard design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: Each session of the workshop is conducted in the WebEx Training Center platform with a toll-free teleconference or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) option for the audio component. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program.
This program is for learning professionals who must work with SMEs to efficiently create valuable and error-free training content. Instructional designers, trainers, IT specialists, and organization development professionals will benefit. If you are ready to make your SME relationships more productive, this program is for you.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organization development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Apply best practices of working with SMEs to develop training.
- Plan a SME kick-off meeting that begins the development process effectively and efficiently.
- Clearly communicate and reinforce content development strategies to your SME.
- Apply solutions for challenges associated with working with SMEs during the training development process.
- Online: 1 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program. If you must miss a session, all sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program.