Essentials of Working with SMEs to Develop Training
Subject matter experts (SMEs), while brilliant, still have their own likes, dislikes, and even personality quirks. Working with SMEs on training projects requires being adaptable to your SME and the situation. This essentials program explores the relationship between the SME and developer from the kick-off meeting through the course development process.
A positive relationship between the SME and the developer is essential. Adopt techniques for enhancing this working relationship beginning with a strong kick-off meeting through requesting information, creating content, and reviewing drafts. Practice telling your story so that your role within the project is clear and your development plan is respected. Determine communication tools that will give you timely responses that are valuable and useful to the training content development process. Benchmark and discover best practices from other industries for how developers work with SMEs. Utilize tools, templates, and resources to efficiently and effectively work with your SMEs to create an interactive, error-free course.
This program, its concepts, and materials will provide resources you need to work with your SMEs to create training material that truly makes an impact. Join us to discover new ideas for how you can make your own SME relationships more successful.
- Attain SME buy-in and input to create valuable and error-free training content.
- Avoid project delays caused by lack of SME engagement or communication breakdowns.
- Benchmark and gain new strategies, tips, and tricks for effectively working with SMEs from the kick-off meeting all the way through development.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboard design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation is a completion requirement of ATD and includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This program is for learning professionals who must work with SMEs to efficiently create valuable and error-free training content. Instructional designers, trainers, IT specialists, and organization development professionals will benefit. If you are ready to make your SME relationships more productive, this program is for you.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organization development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Apply best practices of working with SMEs to develop training.
- Plan a SME kick-off meeting that begins the development process effectively and efficiently.
- Clearly communicate and reinforce content development strategies to your SME.
- Apply solutions for challenges associated with working with SMEs during the training development process.
- Online: 1 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and any applicable credits. Please note that viewing a recording will not fulfill the attendance requirement. Participants who fulfill all program requirements will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program for your review.
Click here to view our cancellation policy.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.