Essentials of Writing Impactful Learning Objective
Do most of your learning objectives start with “know” and “understand?” Sometimes the habit of using these verbs gets the best of us. If so, you are not alone. The most effective learning objectives are more precise—allowing you to observe what should happen in a training program, and then measure whether the training program is a success. Strong objectives set the stage for meaningful learning by providing a road map to the end goal. In this practical and collaborative class, you will dive into writing observable and measurable objectives and applying practical techniques that simplify the writing process.
Learning objectives are often an undervalued part of the design process, but they shouldn’t be. Well-written learning objectives tell your learners what you want them to know and do—clearly and concisely—and then help managers, leaders, and organizations measure their progress toward that knowledge and skill.
Get practical, easy-to-use techniques for writing learning objectives that are behavior-focused and measurable. You will review methods that show you why your objectives matter and how tying them to learning outcomes supports learning goals. Get feedback from your facilitator and peers as you practice crafting objectives for one of your upcoming projects. Leave the online program feeling confident that your learning objectives will set up your programs for success and guide your participants to the desired outcomes.
- Recognize well-written learning objectives and the value they can bring for not only your learning program but overall performance goals.
- Practice writing learning objectives for specific situations in a safe environment.
- With the assistance of peer review, walk away with strongly written objectives for one of your current learning programs.
- Apply various approaches to writing learning objectives that will simplify the writing process.
- Utilize a job aid once you are back at work to easily and quickly develop learning objectives for your upcoming programs.
- Interact with fellow participants to hear their experiences and best practices for writing objectives.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This program is for learning professionals who wish to create learning objectives that make an impact. Whether you are a trainer, an instructional designer, or an organization development professional, if you are interested in writing effective learning objectives that focus on the learner’s desired skills, knowledge, and behaviors, then this program is for you.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Write effective learning objectives based on observable actions or behaviors.
- Articulate the benefits of sound learning objectives.
- Apply best practices for structuring learning objectives.
- Choose an appropriate model to write learning objectives.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of learning objectives and recommend revisions to improve quality.
- Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program. However, viewing a recording will not count towards your completion.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.