Learning Path: Beyond Training
Often performance consultants are approached with requests to provide training in order to fix a particular problem that an organization is experiencing. In reality, training might be a solution for this problem—but only if the problem is being caused by a gap in knowledge or skills. Performance consultants use a systematic approach to uncover how performance can be improved, and what solutions will help improve performance—including, but not limited to, training.
Here are some top resources on moving beyond training:
1. What Is Human Performance Improvement? (Insight) by Chris Ross
2. Transitioning a L&D Department to a Performance Focus (Video) by Ethan Sanders
3. Meaningful Results (TD Magazine) by Ingrid Guerra-Lopez and Karen Hicks
4. Learning for the Long Run (Book) by Holly Burkett
5. From Training to Performance—A Necessary Evolution (Insight) by Mike Taylor