Do you have a friend at work that you look forward to seeing or talking to? Someone you enjoy chatting with or laughing about something fun that happened? Friendships at work can provide many benefits, not only to work outcomes, but also to you as an individual.
According to the Mayo Clinic, here are just a few personal benefits of friendships - and things we all need in our lives!
- Increase your sense of belonging and purpose, makes you happy!
- Improve your self-confidence and self-worth
- Help you cope with traumas, such as divorce, serious illness, job loss or the death of a loved one, stress
As far as work outcomes go, The Gallup Organization research shows that there is a concrete link between having a best friend at work and the amount of effort employees expend in their jobs. They are more engaged and less likely to quit. It makes sense. You look forward to seeing your friends and going to work.
According to Gallup.com if you have a best friend at work:
- you are seven times more likely to be engaged in the workplace
- this type of friendly atmosphere separates elite, world-class performing organizations from average
- it becomes more about your life and not just a job you go to
- improved teamwork
- improved loyalty to the organization
Create an atmosphere in your workplace where friendships can flourish and watch everything improve.