Innovation and disruptive technologies are changing the skills that workers need to thrive. Although some occupations will become obsolete, most will undergo transformation based on the increasing reliance on technology to perform even the most routine tasks.
While partnering with an online training provider can help your workforce adapt to the future of work, there are several platform options available. Below are some key considerations for governments when selecting the best partner to meet skills development goals.
Is the online training provider able to deliver training for in-demand skills at all levels from basic literacy to advanced reskilling?
As a new outlook of work pushes to increase data use and analysis, the requirement for a comprehensive training capability to increase data literacy and build broad data science capabilities at scale is critical.
- Does the online training provider offer skill sets designed to build broad data science capability across an organization and workforce? Does it provide everything: entry-level content to build skill literacy, intermediate level content to upskill teams, and advanced content to reskill individuals?
- Does the provider offer a high-quality content catalog with cutting-edge courses in data analytics, leadership and management, computer programming, machine learning, supply chain and logistics, data management, and data literacy in addition to courses focused on vital human skills—such as communications, leadership, management, personal development, problem-solving and thinking, and teamwork and collaboration?
Does the online training provider offer high-quality content and transferable industry-recognized certifications?
Not all online training providers offer advanced programs, degrees, or professional certifications. These credentials can provide your teams with increased incentives to learn because they are recognized, and skills have transferable value.
- How often are courses created and the catalog updated: yearly, quarterly, daily?
- Are courses developed based on research-backed pedagogical principles, clear learning objectives, unique assessments, and so on?
- Do courses have consistent outcome measurements and backward design?
- Do course options include certifications from the university or company that produced the content?
Does the online training provider include comprehensive reporting on skill development?
Built-in data analytics capabilities help staff and administrators measure skills development across teams and, in turn, optimize their learning programs for successful outcomes. While standard metrics such as platform usage, courses taken, and courses completed are useful, many online training platform providers differ on the depth of measurement they can deliver.
- Are metrics provided on custom content pathways aligned to the organization’s strategic learning objectives?
- Will you be able to measure skill development across different domains such as business, technology, and data, or others?
- Is there reporting on the return on investment of human skill programs such as strategy, operations, communications, and leadership?
- Can you gain a summary of skills development over time?
Can the online training platform enable guided learning and hands-on learning experiences?
When a learning program can provide flexible pathways to skill development, an individual will more likely acquire the desired skills outcome.
- Does the platform dynamically generate recommendations for new content?
- Can customized content recommendations be based on a learner’s skill proficiency and training progress?
- Is there a project-based curriculum available to help students learn how to use new skills in real-world environments?
Does the online training provider offer dedicated support and resources?
While the accessibility that online training platforms deliver is a key benefit, customer support may look a bit different than traditional on-premises support teams.
- Can your agency get a dedicated customer success manager responsible for providing direct support to your team?
- Are there additional career support services for specialized certificate programs?
- Do they provide AI-based practice interview tools to help learners prepare for job interviews?
- Do they have the capabilities to customize your learning program or pathways and advise you on skills development?
- Do they have functionality that permits you to create context-specific, project-relevant, applied learning at scale?
- Do they provide a full maturity curve of learning, from literacy all the way through a terminal professional degree for a public manager?
With jobs changing rapidly and an acute shortage of strategic IT skills within the workforce, reskilling and upskilling at scale is critical. Partnering with the right online training vendor can make all the difference.
Meet your skills development goals faster with Coursera. Visit coursera.org/government today to learn more.