Under the alliance, federal employees and their families worldwide will be able to affordably pursue more than 60 certificate, bachelor's, and master's degree programs in high-growth, in-demand and mission-critical fields. This is Champlain College's 57th truED alliance in both public and private sectors.
"Champlain College takes a distinct approach to adult online education, forming alliances with enterprises to break down the wall between academia and industry, and providing students with critical knowledge and skills that are directly transferable from the classroom to the office," says Jayson Boyers, vice president of Champlain College and managing director of the Division of Continuing and Professional Studies. "We are honored to have the opportunity to align ourselves with the nation's largest employer and provide the hard-working men and women of the Federal workforce and their families with accessible, affordable and relevant learning opportunities," he added.
Champlain College's truED provides OPM with a nationally recognized, sought-after adult online learning partner to meet the continuing education needs facing Federal Government. Champlain College offers the federal workforce distinct educational benefits, including:
- online certificate and degree offerings that support the mission-critical skills and knowledge needs, including high-demand fields like cyber security, digital forensics, healthcare administration and human resource management
- more than 20 years of online education experience and a deep understanding of adult learners' requirements and goals
- a longstanding reputation as a nationally ranked education provider by US News & World Report and The Princeton Review, as well as regional accreditation ensuring that standards of academic quality are met
- designation as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security, as a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the United States Air Force and recognition by SC Magazine in 2013 for having the Best Cyber Security Higher Education Program in the United States
- seven-week semesters that allow federal employees and their families to obtain a high-quality online certificate or degree as quickly as possible at up to 70 percent less than standard tuition, leaving students with little to no debt.
"In order for the federal Government to effectively serve the American people, it is essential that we are able to recruit and retain our nation's top talent," said OPM Director Katherine Archuleta. "Through our alliance with Champlain College, OPM can ensure that millions of dedicated Federal employees worldwide can access high-quality educational opportunities that will both advance their careers and contribute to the success of current and future agency missions," she added. federal employees can immediately begin submitting their applications for the summer term, which begins on July 6, 2015, and has the admission deadline of June 5, 2015.
Government Executive reports that the Champlain program is proving popular—just a few weeks after its launch. Champlain College has received approximately 300 applications from federal employees interested in enrolling in the education program. In addition, more than 25,000 unique visitors have visited the OPM online portal seeking information.
Katherine Archuleta is not surprised by the program’s initial success. Archuleta writes on her blog, “We know programs like this one work. One year ago, we initiated a partnership with University of Maryland University College. UMUC’s results are encouraging. More than 1,200 federal employees enrolled in UMUC programs, including nearly 100 spouses and dependents. Together, they have saved nearly $765,000 in tuition. And we know that federal employees across the country are taking interest. UMUC enrolled students from 42 states and the District of Columbia and from more than 100 federal agencies.”
Archuleta concludes, “Lifelong learning is a staple of today’s federal workforce, and our alliance with Champlain College pushes us further along that path. I am incredibly proud of the work federal employees do each and every day, and the time and energy they invest in their jobs. Through our partnership with Champlain, we will help solidify the foundation of that investment. And stay tuned; there are even more opportunities like this to come.”