Beverly Kaye, founder of Career Systems International, is recognized internationally as one of the most knowledgeable professionals in the areas of career development and employee engagement and retention. Her newest book, published in September 2017, is Up Is Not the Only Way: Rethinking Career Mobility. Bev will be presenting at ATD 2018 this May, so I asked her to speak with me about the topic of her session.
Here are some questions that Bev and I discussed during the podcast:
- Most people think that career development means getting promoted into a management position, but that isn’t the right move for everyone. What other options are available for people who want to grow their careers?
- How can people tell if moving into management is the right option for them?
- People often think that making a lateral move won’t look good on their resumes. How can they alleviate negative perceptions?
- What advice would you give to professionals who want to discuss career development with their manager? How can they open the conversation in a way that will be comfortable for both of them?
- What about for managers? What advice do you have for productive ways to discuss career development with their employees?
For more information, be sure to attend Bev’s session at ATD 2018.