The ATD Dissertation Award is given to foster and disseminate research in the practice of developing talent in organizations. It will be presented to the person who has submitted the best doctoral dissertation for which a degree has been granted between August 1, 2020, and September 30, 2021. The 2021 winner will be recognized in 2022.
1. The dissertation must report a study for which a doctoral degree was granted in the previous year between August 1, 2019, and September 30, 2020.
2. The study must focus on some issue of relevance to the practice of developing talent in organizations. Illustrative areas of concentration include:
- training and development
- organizational development/learning
- performance improvement/analysis
- work design
- career development
- human resource planning.
3. All research methodologies will be considered on an equal basis, including, for example, field-, laboratory-, quantitative-, and qualitative-investigations.
4. The candidate must be recommended and sponsored by his or her committee chair. A committee chair may nominate more than one candidate who meets the criteria noted above in points 1 and 2.
5. All materials must be in English, in Word format, and submitted by email. Submissions should adhere to the format prescribed below.
The 2021 application deadline is November 30, 2021.
The application must include the following, without exception, be in Word format, and be sent by email:
1. Letter of application from candidate, a separate cover sheet that contains the candidate's contact details (work and home address, telephone numbers, and email), and a brief abstract of the submission that does not exceed 120 words.
2. Recommendation from committee chair (sent in separate email from email address of the academic institution) with the dissertation completion date.
3. Abstraction of the dissertation. The abstraction should not exceed eight single-spaced pages in length (including abstraction, figures, tables, and references; 1-inch margins all around; 10-point font, pages numbered, APA 6th Edition, and no author identification in the documentation properties, document body, header, or footer of manuscript).
Submissions that exceed the page limitations or do not adhere to the required format will not be considered. The submission requirements correspond to the full manuscript requirements of the Academy of Human Resource Development's (AHRD) Dissertation of the Year procedures that require applicants to follow the full manuscript conference proposal submission guidelines.
4. The abstraction should include:
1) Summary of the problem
2) Purpose of the study and rationale (why is it important?)
3) Critique of relevant literature
B. Research Design and/or Methodology
1) Sample selection
2) Instrumentation and/or interview protocol
3) Data collection and analysis procedures
C. Results and Findings
1) For quantitative studies, provide sufficient statistics, including, power,
significance, effect size, and strength of relationship.
2) For qualitative studies, provide a concise analysis resulting from
sufficient methodological rigor.
1) Strengths of the research
2) Limitations of the research.
Strengths and limitations may address the following topics:
- Why was the overall design chosen as "good" (i.e., methodologically
rigorous and appropriate) design?
- What measurement and analysis problems did you encounter, and how
did you resolve them?
- Threats to validity.
E. Implications for Practice and Research
Particular attention will be given to those studies that thoroughly discuss the significance of the findings to the practice of talent development.
5. To ensure a blind review, do not include your name or affiliation on any portion of the actual abstract.
6. Send the email package to:
Erin Strider, ATD Awards and Communications
[email protected] Her phone number is 703.838.5855.
Reviewers chosen from the research community will evaluate the applications.
The award winner will receive
- commemorative award presented at the awards ceremony during the ATD International Conference & Exposition.
- announcement of the award and a summary of the findings in ATD publications and on the website.
2021 Application Schedule
November 30, 2021
Deadline for receipt of application package
March 19, 2022
Email notification to all entrants of the 2020 program.
Award presented to the 2021 winner at ATD Awards Ceremony during the 2022 ATD International Conference & Exposition.