Chapter Affiliation Requirements (CARE) are a set of performance guidelines designed to help chapters deliver consistent benefits to members. CARE consists of elements in six key areas that are necessary for running a chapter like a business: Board of Directors, Communication, Finance, Governance, Membership, and Programming.
Early Submission Deadline: January 14, 2022*
*Early submission will enter the chapter in to a drawing to win a free ATD Chapter Leaders Conference (ALC) registration.
CARE Webinar: Reviewing 2020 and Preparing for 2021
Join members of the National Advisors for Chapters (NAC) CARE team to learn more about the 2020 CARE results, discuss resources to help incorporate CARE and CARE Plus into your chapter’s strategy, and learn how to make CARE fun throughout the year.
The chapter operating plan provides a framework for doing business effectively and managing resources efficiently. Leverage the
Operating Plan Template to create a plan for your chapter.
Recommendations on how to accomplish: • Identify the objectives, tasks, and timelines associated with each annual goal and major strategy area based on member needs.
• Annually review and update, if necessary, your operating plan to ensure it aligns with the chapter’s mission and vision.
• Use the operating plan to identify how the chapter will address CARE elements throughout the year.
Most Recent Yearly Balance Sheet and Income Statement
Preparing and managing a chapter operating budget helps leaders plan for and deliver products and services that meet member needs without exceeding the chapter’s financial resources. Utilize the
balance sheet template and
income statement template to compile information about the chapter's financial position.
Recommendations on How to Prepare a Budget: • Develop a budget:
1. Assess the chapter's current financial position.
2. Review the chapter's goals and existing programs and services based on members’ needs.
3. Estimate revenue for the coming year.
4. Estimate expenses for the coming year.
5. Prepare budget worksheets for each program and administrative area.
6. Compile program and administrative budgets into an overall annual chapter budget. Use the
budget template if your chapter does not have an existing budget.
7. Have board approve final budget.
• Publish final budget in chapter newsletter or member mailing or make them electronically available to members.
• Review the budget at midyear (recommended) and make adjustments as necessary. Establish a reserve account for unexpected expenses.
The CARE membership goal helps establish that members of ATD and its chapters are part of the same organization with shared valuable resources and a shared compelling mission that effectively meets members’ professional development needs.