If you are like most instructional designers and developers, you spend about 80 percent of your working hours writing. You write needs assessment reports, design documents, pre-course surveys, facilitator guides, presentation materials, participant guides, job aids, e-learning scripts, post-course surveys, and evaluation questions. As a learning professional, your writing needs to be persuasive to gain buy-in from stakeholders, crystal clear to manage learners’ cognitive load, and engaging to aid learning transfer. There is an art to this style of writing, and having these skills can be a competitive advantage as you advance in your career.
Instructional designers and e-learning developers write every day as they develop their course materials. In fact, the Assessment and Development phases in ADDIE consist largely of writing. Writing for learners requires a different set of skills from traditional business writing. And although good grammar is a must, it’s not the focus of this program. To truly capture your audience, your writing must sound as if it were written by a subject matter expert, even if it wasn’t. Your writing should match the experience level of your audience. You must adapt your approach to the type of content you are writing, such as workbooks, manuals, job aids, slide deck, or e-learning courses.
Discover how to use rhetorical writing techniques to articulate your desired training outcomes effectively. Learn through hands-on practice how to write to clarify, simplify, illuminate, and explain. Hone your editing skills so that you can eliminate hyperbole and cut unnecessary words to manage participant cognitive load. Find out how to use tone, point of view, and personality to keep your audience actively engaged.
- Develop content faster and improve your learning programs with clear, persuasive, and engaging writing.
- Learn to tailor your writing to the appropriate modality, format, and audience.
- Become a master at editing to clarify your messages and reduce cognitive load.
- Pre-Work: Complete a short, pre-course writing assignment that you will edit at the end of the program so you can see what you have learned.
- Homework/Intersession Work: For the online program, intersession work includes a weekly online discussion forum, where you will post assignments and engage with your peers.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: The online version of this program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. There are no technical requirements for the face-to-face program. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program.
This program is ideal for professionals who are responsible for developing learning programs and want to improve their writing and content organization skills.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Apply persuasive writing techniques when creating needs assessment reports and design documents that effectively articulate your training solution.
- Prepare well-written workbooks, manuals, job aids, slide decks, and e-learning courses that reduce cognitive load, positively influence learning transference, and serve as on-the-job resources.
- Edit your writing to be clearer and more concise.
- Effectively organize your reports, materials, and curriculums.
- Write precise instructions for individual and group activities so they engage your participants.
- Create training materials with easy-to-understand visuals that effectively support the written message and lead to greater learning retention.
Face-to-Face: 2 days
Online: 5 sessions, 15 hours total
On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 14 CPLP recertification points for the face-to-face version and 15 CPLP recertification points for the online version. This program may be eligible for up to 14 APTD recertification points for the face-to-face version and 15 APTD recertification points for the online version. This program has been pre-approved for 14 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 14 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 1.4 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and 1.4 CEUs. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program.
ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
For programs with 5 or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with 4 or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program.