This prestigious annual award recognizes organizations that demonstrate enterprise-wide success as a result of employee talent development. The 40 award winners for 2017 demonstrate that they are:
- Building talent
- Strategically driving a
- Talent development culture and delivers results.
“These 40 organizations are solving business challenges through talent development practices, and they are doing it in innovative ways,” said Tony Bingham, ATD President and CEO. “Senior leaders in these organizations understand the critical strategic role learning has, and they are committed to investing in the growth and development of their people.”
For instance, taking the top spot this year is Western Union. Josh Craver, WU's former vice president of talent management, credits adaptability for keeping the communications firm going for 160 years. To better serve its market, the Colorado-based company is shifting the mindset of employees and developing a new operating model that drives a more customer-centric, high-performing culture among every employee.
Called the WU WAY, it is being introduced in stages with support from WU's learning and talent organization. Its launch was accompanied by a vigorous orientation program for people managers—Leadership in Action (LIA)—that engages the organization's top leaders to embrace and model the culture with the people they lead.
LIA's initial rollout delivered more than 200 training sessions to 85 percent of the company's people managers. The company's top 100 leaders were asked to personally champion the change by facilitating informal learning circles with six to eight company leaders once a month, which helped create management buy-in and ensure cost-effective delivery. Participants in the leader-as-teacher initiative included President and CEO Hikmet Ersek, who endorses talent development as a competitive advantage.
This viewpoint concurs with Valvoline Instant Oil Change, the 2017 BEST Award winner in the number 2 spot. In fact, Valvoline's efficient and comprehensive talent development program helps employees move quickly up the career ladder. For example, although employees are responsible for their own career growth, Valvoline's talent development team designed and implemented a certification program that ensures employees are fully equipped with the knowledge and skills to do their jobs, and also flags them as being ready for promotion.
Entry-level employees typically start in the technician or customer service adviser role, and then progress to senior technician, assistant manager, and then service center manager. New hires undergo training that results in certification, a title change, and a pay raise within 60 days, followed by another raise within 120 days. Every Valvoline employee becomes certified, with the overwhelming majority (98 percent) being certified on time.
These are just two of the 40 BEST stories profiled in the October 2017 issue of TD magazine. The complete 2017 rankings are:
Western Union, Englewood, Colorado
2. Valvoline Instant Oil Change, A Business of Valvoline, Lexington, Kentucky
3. Hitachi Data Systems, Santa Clara, California
4. Turkcell İletisim Hizmetleri A.Ş., Istanbul, Turkey
5. IBM, Armonk, New York
6. Florida Blue, Jacksonville, Florida
7. Tata Consultancy Services, Mumbai, India
8. Infosys BPO, Bangalore, India
9. The Hong Kong Jockey Club, Hong Kong
10. ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Ltd., Mumbai, India
11. OptumRx, Eden Prarie, Minnesota
12. Fatima Fertilizer Company Limited, Sadiqbad, Pakistan
13. Moneris, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
14. Signature Consultants, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
15. Genpact, Delhi, India
16. Miami Children’s Health System, Miami, Florida
17. Emirates NBD, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
18. NTPC Ltd., New Delhi, India
19. U.S. Security Associates, Inc., Roswell, Georgia
20. ITU AbsorbTech, New Berlin, Wisconsin
21. University Health System, San Antonio, Texas
22. Hayat Varlık Yönetim A.Ş., Istanbul, Turkey
23. Ryan LLC, Dallas, Texas
24. Lupin Limited, Mumbai, India
25. JTH Group, Hong Kong
26. Persistent Systems Ltd., Pune, India
27. Busey, Champaign, Illinois
28. Verizon, New York, New York
29. Apple Federal Credit Union, Fairfax, Virginia
30. G4S Secure Solutions (USA), Jupiter, Florida
31. N2 Publishing, Wilmington, North Carolina
32. HireRight LLC, Irvine, California
33. United Services Automobile Association (USAA), San Antonio, Texas
34. Haier Group, Qingdao, China
35. Aditya Birla Capital Limited, Mumbai, India
36. iProspect, New York, New York
37. Cigna Corporation, Bloomfield, Connecticut
38. Cathay United Bank Co. Ltd., Taipei, Taiwan
Details about the 2018 program will be available in January 2018.