"Thinking outside the box is great," says Rosemary Haefner, vice president of HR for CareerBuilder. "But the stunts that work best are the ones that showcase your relevant skills and abilities."
Here are some successful and not-so-successful techniques used by job-seekers.
Techniques that worked:
- Candidate contracted a billboard outside the employer's office.
- Candidate gave a résumé on a chocolate bar.
- Candidate asked to be interviewed in Spanish to showcase his skills.
- Candidate performed a musical number on the guitar about why he was the best candidate.
- Candidate volunteered to help out with making copies when he saw that the interviewer's assistant was getting frazzled.
- Candidate sent a message in a bottle.
Techniques that did not work:
- Candidate dressed as a clown.
- Candidate back-flipped into the room.
- Candidate brought items from interviewer's online shopping wish list.
- Candidate sent a fruit basket to interviewer's home address, which the interviewer had not given her.
- Candidate did a tarot reading for the interviewer.
- Candidate sent the interviewer a lotto ticket.
- Candidate sent in a shoe to "get their foot in the door."