One of the key factors of an enjoyable and educational training event or program is how well it is organized. Many components go into making a training program successful before, during, and after each event, notes author Swati Karve, in the August 2013 Infoline, "Planning and Organizing Training Events."
Here are a few of the skills the training program organizer must have to ensure a successful event.
- Organization skills to track what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, and who will do it.
- Time management skills to juggle tasks and interact with people at the same time while prioritizing activities each day.
- Collaboration skills to work with several individuals who may have different attitudes, opinions, or even priorities.
- Communication skills for making announcements and communicating with different stakeholders while making intentions clear.
- Managerial skills to delegate tasks to different people and ensure that they are being done well, on time, and within budget.
- A sense of foresight to predict scenarios and consider many aspects of what may work and what may go wrong, so that contingency plans are in place.
These tips were adapted from the August 2013 Infoline, "Planning and Organizing Training Events." For more information, go to www.astd.org/infoline.