MOOCs are collaborative online courses open to anyone wishing to participate at no cost (although a fee may be required in order to earn credit). Corporate MOOCs use the open, online, collaborative approach within organizations. MOOCs: Expanding the Scope of Organizational Learning is an ATD and the Institute for Corporate Productivity (i4cp) research report designed to explore the current—and anticipated—use of MOOCs in the business world. ATD and i4cp’s survey of learning professionals found that 22 percent are currently using MOOCs in learning and development efforts.
This Study explores some of the most compelling questions about MOOCs and the promise (and challenges) they hold for organizational learning functions, including:
- Are companies leveraging MOOCs for employee learning? Are they doing so effectively?
- How are learning professionals becoming informed about this new approach?
- Do organizations actively encourage their employees to participate in MOOCs?
- Are MOOCs a passing fad in organizational learning, or are they on the brink of significant growth?
- Will the poor completion rates plaguing MOOCs in higher education hobble corporate learning?"