It's been a hellova 2020 year, hasnt it? Did you know that we, as distracted humans have approximately 58,000 thoughts every day? Gloria Mark, the Professor of Infomatics at the University of California at Irvine, says that we operate in the "PolyChronic" system everyday, i.e. managing multiple devices all day long! Think about it---Cell Phones, Emails, Ipads, Phonecalls, Smart Devices as in our home to remind us to turn the Grandfather clock on at promptly 8AM! Then, adding to the Covid 19 Pandemic Crisis which remains on-going, where does this leave us? In modern day Business, we were all lead to believe we are suppose to be "Multitasking Productive Workers", my newly formed quoted term! Daniel Goleman, the renowned, Harard Psychologist has said, that our Brains are "undersieged" . . For example, as I was writing this article, I had 2 distractions, no 3, now 4, as I recall by my distracted brain:
- I went to look for Daniel Goleman's book, called "Focus"; you think I could find it? No, what does that tell you?
- My Fiance' dropped a subtle suggestion that I get dressed since I was still in my PJs at 11:30AM, the day after New Year's! Needless to say, I got dressed in my casual office attire.
- She also reminded me I could organize some of my books at my Night-table 7 put them in my office instead of them piling up under my night table! I have begun to do, ---another fealrless task to behold!:(
- Then, as she was rummaging in our office closet and spotted a named empty gift bag & wondered what gift was in that, which here again, my Attention was hijacked by a sincere unsuspecting humble intruder! All these events all occurred with a 30 minute period, that easily got extended into an hour of my precious time! Have I still discovered Goleman's Book, Focus? An emphatic NO, embarrassingly!
So, it stands to reason, why we are so distracted today...and, by the way, who isnt or hasnt been distracted with Covid today?! Yet, see how smart we are by even coining the word, "Covid"! Two years ago nobody would not even know what you are referring to!
So why all this attention to our Distracted attention? Neuro-Scientists and Psychologists have finally tuned into the notion that we need a take a Mindful Pause and reassess our awarenesses, and by that, admit MPW's aka, Multitasking Productive Workers are becoming a thing of the past! In fact, Multitasking is an impossible task today! If we doubled up to assess how much time we actually waste focusing and refocusing every day, we would soon conclude we have wasted nearly a third of our day, if not more!
This brings us to our third theme, Mindfulness! Many folks would somewhat ignorantly, think that Mindfulness is just a Woo-Woo term originating from our 1960's Hippies' Buddhists communities! Now, even though historically that may be true, there has been true Science that has overwealming evidence convincing us the need for Pause! And why- Simply to give us the added persepctive & bonuses of the success of Mindfulness Practices and the results thereof today! Afterall, we all want to shoot for an increase of the ROI's, correct? Well, let me take it one step further!
Jon Kabaat-Zinn , the Founder of the Center for Mindfulness, defines Mindfulness as the awareness, i.e. sensing our present moments, without judgement, and with curiousity, thus taking a Mindful pause! Without presenting all of the Scientific facts and justifications for all this, it is fairly common knowledge the benefits are many:
- "Reduction of stress, anxiety, and depression
- Improved emotional regulation and balance
- Improved memory and enhanced
- Reduction of one’s pain perception
- Reduction of heart-related diseases
- Reduction of headaches and migraines
- Decreased inflammation
- Improved sleep and reduced insomnia
- Greater harmony in social interactions and relationships
- Heightened capacity for compassion and empathy
- Greater sense of confidence and lowered self-criticism
- Increased physical and emotional resiliency" All are taken from:
Given that all has been successfully given why do you think many Businesses are adopting a Mindful Culture? To bcome Woo-Woo Buddhist Comunities again? I think Not! If many Businesses have not adopted this Mindfulness Culture, I ask why not? Let's face it, we all want:
- More Engaged Employess, dont we?
- More Healthier Employees and our Families, don't we?
- More focused Employees and Leaders, don't we?
- More Sleep rested Employees, dont we?
- More Compassionate Leaders and Employees, dont we?
- More Confident Leaders & Employees, dont we?
- More Resilient Organizations, Leaders, and Employees, dont we?
So for a New Year of 2021, which has just begun, I challenge you to adopt New or Continued Cultures of Mindfulness!
I'll end with a Favorite Poem of mine:
The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
So finally, I ask: What "Difference" are you prepared to make in our New Year?