ATD Master Trainer™ Program
Focused on practice and grounded in theory, prove your ability to deliver the most engaging and effective training solutions.
Elevate your skills through this experiential and blended assessment-based program. Grow your knowledge, prove your skill, and challenge yourself. Become an ATD Master Trainer.
The role of the trainer has evolved to include building consultative partnerships, demonstrating facilitation skills dependent on learner dynamics, and reporting on business metrics to validate the effectiveness of the learning solution. Aligned to the Talent Development Capability Model... Read More
The role of the trainer has evolved to include building consultative partnerships, demonstrating facilitation skills dependent on learner dynamics, and reporting on business metrics to validate the effectiveness of the learning solution. Aligned to the Talent Development Capability Model, this renowned program covers the entire process of training delivery including purpose and assessment, decision making, planning and preparation, presentation and facilitation, performance and evaluation, and business metrics and reporting. You’ll be a part of an online cohort and work with your facilitator to lift the conversation about training delivery to the master level, showcasing your ability to adapt to learner needs. Identify where you excel and where you have opportunities for growth. Benefit from a structured and collaborative learning experience and the opportunity to assess your knowledge and skills through discussion, practice, and skills demonstrations.
After completing the program, you will be invited to join the ATD Masters Collective, a private community of other ATD Masters alumni where you will have the opportunity to continue to learn and celebrate accomplishments together.
Why You Should Attend:
- Develop and demonstrate mastery of training and facilitation through multiple practice deliveries, including individualized feedback and analysis.
- Gain six months of access to ATD’s comprehensive Talent Development Body of Knowledge and receive tools, resources, and templates to use on the job.
- Receive personalized feedback from your facilitator and peers.
- Earn the industry-recognized ATD Master Trainer designation and digital badge.
- Accelerate your pathway toward achieving the APTD or CPTD Certification. Learn more.
How the Program Works:
- Learn research-based best practices from across the Talent Development Capability Model to elevate your training and facilitation skills.
- Engage in an 8-week cohort-based journey via ATD’s online learning platform and facilitator-led sessions.
- Benefit from the role modeling, wisdom, and guidance of an expert ATD facilitator.
- Learn with and from a group of peers through application-based discussions and reflections.
- Personalize your Master Trainer journey by assessing your current skills, adapting scenarios to your context, and demonstrating success with skills practice opportunities.
- Diagnose your current ability in delivering training with the ATD Master Trainer self-assessment tool, the Learning Prioritization Inventory.
- Demonstrate the ATD essential skills in delivering training, including preparation, creating a positive learning climate, facilitating learning, managing challenges, and evaluating learning.
- Select questions to use when conducting a needs assessment to determine the need for training.
- Apply adult learning principles and cognitive learning theory.
- Describe various models of instructional design (ID).
- Convey measurable outcome-based learning objectives.
- Plan and prepare for conducting a consultative needs analysis conversation.
- Identify best practices for maintaining and enforcing organizational standards.
- Apply decision-making models to a scenario.
- Prepare for a training session by sequencing facilitation.
- Select methods to address learner motivation.
- Define types of delivery media, including facilitating virtual training.
- Identify best practices in learning technology.
- Recall copyright guidelines for use of creative work.
- Create stories, examples, and analogies to connect with participant needs.
- Identify best practices in co-facilitation.
- Create a culturally aware and inclusive learning environment.
- Facilitate learning using effective questioning techniques and feedback methods.
- Apply relevant solutions to overcome challenges in the classroom.
- Identify assessment techniques to ensure learning outcomes.
- Describe the purpose of coaching.
- Evaluate training to align to business outcomes.
- Analyze and evaluate training delivery skills through a detailed assessment review.
A lot of people ask me to describe what makes a master trainer. Are they better presenters? Do they use PowerPoint slides or flipcharts in some magical way? Or is it how they prepare? There’s a lot...
Watch as ATD facilitator, Donna Steffey, describes the ATD Master Trainer Program. Tailor your learning. Prove your ability. Deliver the most engaging and effective training.
Topics covered include purpose and assessment, decision making, and planning and preparation—the first three components of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
Topics covered include presentation and facilitation, the fourth component of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
Topics covered include performance and evaluation and metrics and reporting, the final two components of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
Earn the ATD Master Trainer digital badge and designation after successfully completing all course work and earning a passing your skills assessment and your final learning project.
Experienced professionals ready to elevate their skills and demonstrate mastery in training delivery and facilitation. Roles may include professional trainers, facilitators, training consultants, training officers, corporate trainers, faculty developers, and managers and/or directors of learning and development.
To ensure you gain the most from this advanced-level program, you must:
- Have a minimum of three years in the training and facilitating profession.
- Be knowledgeable about effective training techniques (such as managing participants, engaging a variety of learning styles, managing classroom challenges, and creating a positive learning environment) and how to apply them.
- Have experience with developing engaging, learner-centered training solutions.
- Have completed a foundational ATD certificate program such as the ATD Training Certificate (preferred, not required).
“The Master Trainer course was hands down the best and most engaging workshop I've ever attended. Incorporating self-study, hands-on activities, feedback, and elective learning, there was never a dull moment. I am excited to apply what I've learned in my own organization and look forward to attending future ATD trainings!”
“Anyone who is in a leadership or supervisory level of training, regardless of your experience and skills, needs to go through this course to validate what you are doing, and more importantly, sharpen your professional abilities with true knowledge of theory and practice.”
"The program offers a holistic and strategic approach to the mission of being an efficient ambassador of the training field. It treats every topic in great detail. You receive very comprehensive and well organized materials and the instructor was extremely knowledgeable."
Things to Know
Face-to-Face Certificate Courses
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Online Certificate Courses
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and any applicable credits.
ATD requires active participation through the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
For programs with five or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with four or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program for your reference.
28.0 learning hours
2.8 CEUs awarded
28.0 APTD Professional Development Hours or Recertification Points through the ATD Certification Institute. New! Earning the ATD Master Trainer designation within the past three years fulfills the entire professional development requirement toward the APTD Certification.
28.0 CPTD Professional Development Hours or Recertification Points through the ATD Certification Institute. New! Earning the ATD Master Trainer designation within the past five years fulfills the entire sixty (60) hour professional development requirement toward the CPTD Certification.
This program has been approved for 28.0 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
This program is valid for 28.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
A laptop computer with Wi-Fi capability is required for both face-to-face and online programs. Please do not bring mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc.) in lieu of a laptop. There will be no computers available on-site for participants. Note: You might not have an optimal experience if you are using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to access your courses. Chrome is the recommended browser.
ATD LEARNING PORTAL
Enrolled in a program? Sign in to the ATD Learning Portal with your ATD account credentials two weeks before the first day of class to:
- Engage with your facilitator and peers.
- Access pre-work assignments.
- View any technical requirements.
- Review logistical information.
Click here to review our cancellation policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Have additional questions about ATD courses? Visit our FAQs for answers.