ATD Master Trainer® Program
Focused on practice and grounded in theory, prove your ability to deliver the most engaging and effective training solutions - in both the classroom and virtual environments.
Elevate your skills through this experiential and blended assessment-based program. Grow your knowledge, prove your skill, and challenge yourself. Become an ATD Master Trainer.
The role of the trainer has evolved to include building consultative partnerships, demonstrating facilitation skills dependent on learner dynamics, and reporting on business metrics to validate the effectiveness of the learning solution. Aligned to the Talent Development Capability Model... Read More
The role of the trainer has evolved to include building consultative partnerships, demonstrating facilitation skills dependent on learner dynamics, and reporting on business metrics to validate the effectiveness of the learning solution. Aligned to the Talent Development Capability Model, this renowned program covers the entire process of training delivery including purpose and assessment, decision making, planning and preparation, presentation and facilitation, performance and evaluation, and business metrics and reporting. Engage with your cohort and facilitator to lift the conversation about training delivery to the master level, showcasing your ability to adapt to learner needs and be successful delivering in any modality (classroom, virtual, asynchronous, or a blend). Identify where you excel and where you have opportunities for growth. Benefit from a structured and collaborative learning experience and the opportunity to assess your knowledge and skills through discussion, practice, and skills demonstrations.
Why You Should Attend:
- Develop and demonstrate mastery of training and facilitation through multiple practice deliveries, including individualized feedback and analysis.
- Gain six-months of free access to ATD’s comprehensive Talent Development Body of Knowledge and receive tools, resources, and templates to use on the job.
- Receive personalized feedback from your facilitator and peers.
- Earn the industry-recognized ATD Master Trainer designation and digital badge.
- Accelerate your pathway toward achieving the APTD or CPTD Certification. Learn more.
How the Program Works:
- Learn research-based best practices from across the Talent Development Capability Model to elevate your training and facilitation skills.
- Engage in a flexible around-your-schedule program via ATD’s online learning platform and facilitator-led sessions.
- Benefit from the role modeling, wisdom, and guidance of an expert ATD facilitator.
- Learn with and from a group of peers through application-based discussions and reflections.
- Personalize your Master Trainer journey by assessing your current skills, adapting scenarios to your context, and demonstrating success with skills practice opportunities.
- Diagnose your current ability in delivering training with the ATD Master Trainer self-assessment tool, the Learning Prioritization Inventory.
- Demonstrate the ATD essential skills in delivering training, including preparation, creating a positive learning climate, facilitating learning, managing challenges, and evaluating learning.
- Select questions to use when conducting a needs assessment to determine the need for training.
- Apply adult learning principles and cognitive learning theory.
- Describe various models of instructional design (ID).
- Convey measurable outcome-based learning objectives.
- Plan and prepare for conducting a consultative needs analysis conversation.
- Identify best practices for maintaining and enforcing organizational standards.
- Apply decision-making models to a scenario.
- Prepare for a training session by sequencing facilitation.
- Select methods to address learner motivation.
- Define types of delivery media, including facilitating virtual training.
- Identify best practices in learning technology.
- Recall copyright guidelines for use of creative work.
- Create stories, examples, and analogies to connect with participant needs.
- Identify best practices in co-facilitation.
- Create a culturally aware and inclusive learning environment.
- Facilitate learning using effective questioning techniques and feedback methods.
- Apply relevant solutions to overcome challenges in the classroom.
- Identify assessment techniques to ensure learning outcomes.
- Describe the purpose of coaching.
- Evaluate training to align to business outcomes.
- Analyze and evaluate training delivery skills through a detailed assessment review.
A lot of people ask me to describe what makes a master trainer. Are they better presenters? Do they use PowerPoint slides or flipcharts in some magical way? Or is it how they prepare? There’s a lot...
We interviewed Cristina Gardner, APTD, on her experience with earning the Master Trainer certificate to share with others considering enrolling in the program. Here are her major takeaways: Because...
Download the brochure to learn everything you need to know about this course.
Topics covered include purpose and assessment, decision making, and planning and preparation—the first three components of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
In this component you'll spend 5 flexible hours online, on the day and time of your choosing, over a 3-week span.
Topics covered include presentation and facilitation, the fourth component of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
In this component you'll spend 16 hours in a 3-day face-to-face or live online session, prescheduled by ATD and visible to you when you enroll.
Topics covered include performance and evaluation and metrics and reporting, the final two components of the ATD Master Training Cycle.
In this component you'll spend 2 flexible hours online, on the day and time of your choosing, over a 2-week span.
In this component you'll spend 5 flexible hours online, on the day and time of your choosing, over a 2-week span.
Earn the ATD Master Trainer digital badge and designation after successfully completing all course work and earning a passing your skills assessment and your final learning project.
After completing the program, you will be invited to join the ATD Masters Collective, a private community of other ATD Masters alumni where you will have the opportunity to continue to learn and celebrate accomplishments together.
Experienced professionals ready to elevate their skills and demonstrate mastery in training delivery and facilitation. Roles may include professional trainers, facilitators, training consultants, training officers, corporate trainers, faculty developers, and managers and/or directors of learning and development.
To ensure you gain the most from this advanced-level program, you must:
- Have a minimum of three years in the training and facilitating profession.
- Be knowledgeable about effective training techniques (such as managing participants, engaging a variety of learning styles, managing classroom challenges, and creating a positive learning environment) and how to apply them.
- Have experience with developing engaging, learner-centered training solutions.
- Have completed a foundational ATD certificate program such as the ATD Training Certificate (preferred, not required).
“The Master Trainer course was hands down the best and most engaging workshop I've ever attended. Incorporating self-study, hands-on activities, feedback, and elective learning, there was never a dull moment. I am excited to apply what I've learned in my own organization and look forward to attending future ATD trainings!”
“Anyone who is in a leadership or supervisory level of training, regardless of your experience and skills, needs to go through this course to validate what you are doing, and more importantly, sharpen your professional abilities with true knowledge of theory and practice.”
"The program offers a holistic and strategic approach to the mission of being an efficient ambassador of the training field. It treats every topic in great detail. You receive very comprehensive and well organized materials and the instructor was extremely knowledgeable."
Things to Know
PROGRAM COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
Active participation in all components of ATD Masters Programs is mandatory in order to receive the designation, digital badge, and applicable credits. This includes participating in facilitator-led sessions and completing all online activities, assessments, and project work. Access to the course and all materials is available in the ATD Learning Platform. New content will be made available each week and should be completed before the start of the next week.
For full-day face-to-face or live online program components, participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to earn the designation.
For multi-week, live online programs with five or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to earn the designation. To be marked complete for that one session, please email [email protected]
For online asynchronous programs, new content will be made available in the platform each week. Completion of all activities, assessments, and project work must be completed the week they are assigned.
Active participation in live online sessions includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, and breakout sessions. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device significantly limits your ability to participate actively.
28.0 learning hours
2.8 CEUs awarded
This program is eligible for 28.0 professional development hours or recertification points from the ATD Certification Institute (ATD CI) for the APTD or CPTD credential. New! Earning the ATD Master Trainer designation fulfills the entire professional development requirement toward the APTD or CPTD Certification. See ATD CI eligibility criteria for details.
This program has been approved for 28.0 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
This program is valid for 28.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrm.org/certification.
A laptop computer with Wi-Fi capability is required for both face-to-face and online programs. Please do not bring mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc.) in lieu of a laptop. There will be no computers available on-site for participants. Note: You might not have an optimal experience if you are using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to access your courses. Chrome is the recommended browser.
ATD LEARNING PORTAL
Enrolled in a program? Sign in to the ATD Learning Portal with your ATD account credentials on the first day of the program to start the course work.
- Engage with your facilitator and peers.
- Access pre-work assignments.
- View any technical requirements.
- Review logistical information.
Click here to review our cancellation policy.
ATD HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
View our health protocols for in-person courses.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Have additional questions about ATD courses? Visit our FAQs for answers.