Achieving success as a business partner in your organization requires strong consulting skills and relationship building. Through ATD’s practical 5-D Consulting model, learn effective internal consulting skills that will enable you to help your clients achieve their desired outcomes, establish goals, and manage expectations. Guide clients through an instructional design or organizational development project: help them overcome obstacles and resistance, and build your credibility to influence decision-making.
Learning professionals must demonstrate strong consulting skills to successfully guide their organizations toward optimal performance. Ensure your ability to practice the most effective behaviors and processes for internal consulting within your organization. Explore ATD’s 5-D model and practice 30 fundamental consulting competencies with tools that can be put to use on the job immediately. External consultants will find that they will also benefit from the concepts covered in the course.
Collaborating in small groups, you’ll follow a case study from start to finish, apply skills to consulting scenarios, solve problems, role-play meetings, try out checklists, and make decisions just as consultants do every day. You’ll leave the program knowing your areas of strength and need, and will have the opportunity to create a personal development plan to become a better consultant. In a recent study, 100 percent of participants felt that the ATD Consulting Skills Certificate was a worthwhile investment, because it provided a practical model and structured approach to a consulting engagement, and empowered them to ask the right questions of their clients.
Find Out More
- Expert facilitator Virginia Bianco-Mathis explains why a good consultant must be trained in the tools and processes of consulting itself in her latest blog, Why Does Everyone Think They Can Consult?
Find out why facilitator Erica Nelson values the Consulting Skills program.
- Discover a model, techniques, and tools that you can use to consult with your clients and move from “order taker” to true business partner.
- Apply strategies for success, including working across organizational boundaries, providing feedback to senior leaders, and gaining buy-in.
- Evaluate your skills and identify your developmental needs as a consultant.
- Pre-Work: Read an informative industry article titled "Successful Inside Consulting."
- Supplemental Resources: This program includes tools and templates to help you apply what you learned on the job.
- Technical Requirements: The online version of this program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. There are no technical requirements for the face-to-face program. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program.
- Online Courses Only: During the online program, you will collaborate in “real time” with your facilitator and classmates via interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards. In addition, you will have access to an online learning portal with discussion boards and program materials.
This program is for professionals who are new to an internal consulting role or want to prepare to assume this role in the future. Experienced learning and development professionals and external consultants who want to sharpen their consulting skills will also benefit.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Understand the functions of a learning professional in the role of consultant.
- Demonstrate exemplary internal consulting competencies, and the corresponding day-to-day behaviors required of an internal consultant.
- Build relationships with clients, including techniques to effectively guide clients through the consulting process.
- List questions to ask a client during a contracting meeting and/or data gathering meeting.
- Outline client goals and set expectations for success.
- Apply tools to analyze business needs and gather information.
- Build credibility through communication to increase position as a knowledgeable, client-focused partner.
- Model the most appropriate way to conduct a data-gathering interview and a feedback meeting.
- Overcome resistance and difficult client behaviors.
- Evaluate the solution/change, and identify areas for future improvement.
- Face-to-Face: 2 days
- Online: 6 sessions, 12hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program.This program may be eligible for up to 14 CPLP recertification points for the face-to-face version and 12 CPLP recertification points for the online version. This program may be eligible for up to 14 APTD recertification points for the face-to-face version and 12 APTD recertification points for the online version.This program has been pre-approved for 14 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute . This program is valid for 12 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 1.4 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and 1.4 CEUs. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program.
ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
For programs with 5 or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with 4 or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program.