Talent Development Body of Knowledge
The definitive resource for the talent development profession.
Accessible anytime, anywhere, on any device, the TDBoK offers a deep dive of the concepts within the Talent Development Capability Model, the framework that tells talent development practitioners what they need to know and do to develop themselves, others, and their organizations. This first-of-its-kind resource for information on the field was developed with more than 60 subject matter expert contributors and incorporates curated perspectives from thousands of publications. The TDBoK gives you the means to define the personal, professional, and organizational impact capabilities required for success—today and in the future.
The Talent Development Capability Model is the foundation for ATD CI’s certification programs, the Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) and the Certified Professional in Talent Development (CPTD). The TDBoK can serve as an important resource for exam preparation.
- available through a 12-month digital subscription and is comprehensive and consolidated so you don't have to buy and read multiple books.
- hundreds of pages of content, including 186 knowledge and skills statements that define best practices, plus 650 glossary terms giving you a complete TD dictionary.
- detailed references and recommended readings that will enable you to explore beyond the platform.
- conveniently delivered in ATD’s Bookshelf e-reader platform. Print copies will be available as an add-on purchase. Coming soon!
ATD’s Bookshelf is a personalized digital learning experience that allows you to do more than you can with print.
- Get 100 percent offline access on your phone, tablet, or computer.
- Use the ATD Bookshelf mobile app.
- Easy-to-use navigation and search tools.
- Sync highlighted content, notes, and annotations across your devices.
- Listen to the content via the read-aloud feature.
- Create your own personal study guide and flashcards.
Mirroring the Talent Development Capability Model, the TDBoK features three volumes, one for each domain in the model. The 23 capability areas in the model are covered in-depth, giving you detailed insight into the concepts, models, and terminology you need to know to achieve excellence in your talent development practice.
Your TDBoK subscription will:
- Serve as a definitive, ongoing, centralized source and reference guide for TD best practices and the knowledge and skills required for success in the profession.
- Enable easy access to theories, models, insights, and answers through a structured, searchable e-publication.
- Provide an overview of the broad array of disciplines in talent development (23 unique capabilities) so you can get exposure to new proficiency areas, identify what more you need to learn, and tailor your future development plan.
- Give you a set of terminology and definitions for the TD profession that create a common language.
- Ensure alignment of the professional resources that you use to expand and develop you career—from credentials to courses and conferences to publications and online content.
Information about talent development practices has never been more readily available. But as our profession continues to transform to match business and organizational strategic priorities, it is important to have a codified set of standards that define talent development. Organized into three comprehensive volumes, the TDBoK serves as a “one-stop shop” for the latest standards and best practices.
To support the new Talent Development Capability Model and all talent development professionals, ATD embarked on researching, documenting, and evaluating the concepts, topics, theories, models, and activities that define the profession. The result is this first-of-its-kind resource for information on the field.
Mirroring the Talent Development Capability Model, the TDBoK features three volumes, one for each domain of practice in the model. The 23 capability areas in the model are covered in-depth giving you detailed insight into the concepts, models, and terminology you need to know to achieve excellence in your talent development practice. Talent Development professionals can use the TDBoK to learn key concepts, gain exposure to the full breadth of capability areas in our field, and speak the common language of a network of global TD practitioners.
In addition, mobile apps are available for iOS and Android devices.
- ATD Bookshelf mobile app with offline access
- Easy navigation and search
- Make highlights and take notes – and annotations are synced across all your devices
- Listen to the content via the Read Aloud feature
- Create your own personal study guide and flashcards
Instructions on how to use the e-reader and a tour of features is provided upon your first login.
1. Download the Bookshelf mobile app. Do not create an account.
2. Go to bookshelf.td.org in your mobile web browser.
3. You will be prompted to “Launch App” or “Continue to Mobile Site.” Click Launch App.
4. Once you launch the app, you’ll be automatically signed in with your td.org account.