Gain a practical, how-to overview of the entire training function. Through modeling of the best practices and latest techniques in training delivery, discover the 4Ps of training: Purpose & Assessment, Planning & Preparation, Presentation & Facilitation, and Performance & Evaluation. New trainers will gain a strong foundation in critical training skills and seasoned trainers will be introduced to new approaches for delivering powerful training.
The ATD Training Certificate content is practical and grounded in the real world, not just academic theory. This program focuses on what happens before, during, and after you deliver training, and what to do if training is not the right solution. With input from ATD’s Competency Study, we identified the competencies required by the most successful practitioners. The Training Certificate Program is aligned with the Training Delivery Area of Expertise in the ATD Competency Model.
Learner feedback indicates high value in the following areas: student engagement, expert facilitation, and applicable tools and techniques.
Find out why facilitator Sharon Wingron values the Training Certificate Program.
- Learn the basics of adult learning theory and instructional design methodology.
- Gain a foundation in conducting a needs assessment, developing learning objectives, and evaluating the impact of your training initiatives.
- Learn and apply effective training techniques for managing participants, engaging a variety of learning styles, creating an effective positive learning environment, and managing classroom challenges.
- Develop engaging training solutions that are learner-centered.
- Pre-Work: Complete a self-assessment and read an industry article titled, "Do's and Don'ts for the New Trainer."
- Homework: You may find it necessary to do some preparation for your skills practice outside of the classroom.
- Supplemental Resources: This program includes tools and templates to help you apply what you learned on the job.
This program is ideal for new trainers or experienced trainers who have not had formal education in training. It is also for those trainers who need a refresher to improve their classroom techniques and methods to transfer learning to work situations.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Describe the training cycle.
- Identify and determine the need for training—what, who, and how.
- Write effective learning objectives.
- Design participant-oriented learning materials and exercises.
- Apply adult learning concepts, develop supportive climates, and customize off-the-shelf materials.
- Use training activities and alternatives to lecture, strategize for different learning needs, and create effective questioning techniques.
- Prepare properly for a training session, and prepare participants to foster learning.
- Manage and encourage participants of all backgrounds and learning styles.
- Address challenging participants and behaviors.
- Present and facilitate a training program, including use of audio visuals and handouts.
- Evaluate program impact at different levels using a variety of methods.
- Identify the five levels of evaluation.
- Face-to-Face: 3 days
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 21 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 21 APTD recertification points. This program has been pre-approved for 21 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 21 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 2.1 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.