Training & Facilitation Certificate
The premier train-the-trainer course.
Gain a complete understanding of the training function, by learning and practicing the skills of an exceptional trainer and facilitator.
This training certificate course covers the entire end-to-end training cycle, including planning and preparing a training event, managing the learning environment and engaging participants in the classroom, and following up post-event to continue to support learning. We'll cover the science behind learning as well--why and how learner needs and preferences, training techniques, classroom environment, and well-structured materials all affect learning outcomes. At the end of the course, you... Read More
This training certificate course covers the entire end-to-end training cycle, including planning and preparing a training event, managing the learning environment and engaging participants in the classroom, and following up post-event to continue to support learning. We'll cover the science behind learning as well--why and how learner needs and preferences, training techniques, classroom environment, and well-structured materials all affect learning outcomes. At the end of the course, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your techniques in a skills training practice where you will receive feedback and guidance from peers and an ATD expert Facilitator.
ATD's Training Certificate, the best-established train-the-trainer course in the talent development field, is now Training & Facilitation Certificate. Drawing upon ATD's extensive research and experience*, this program will help you become a learner-centric facilitator who recognizes and can apply all of the skills of an effective trainer.
Why You Should Attend:
- Get an overview of all phases of the training cycle from the planning phase through the evaluation phase.
- Leave with the knowledge and skills to become a participant-focused facilitator in any environment, from large scale training events to meetings and presentations.
- Learn from an expert trainer and facilitator, who will demonstrate best practices in the classroom.
- Gain access to ATD-exclusive templates and tools to use in your own practice.
- Demonstrate your new skills and receive personalized, actionable feedback from your ATD expert facilitator.
- Earn an industry-recognized certificate, continuing education credits, and an ATD digital badge to share with your networks.
You Might Also Consider:
If you are focused on training or facilitating in a virtual platform, such as Zoom, Webex, Microsoft Teams, or Adobe Connect, consider Virtual Training Certificate. This online course also covers the training cycle, but specifically addresses options for engaging participants in an online, remote setting.
*This course is based upon the Training Delivery & Facilitation Capability of the Talent Development Capability Model. The concepts covered in the course are reflected in the Talent Development Body of Knowledge (TDBoKTM), the definitive resource for the talent development profession, covering 23 capability areas. Read Less
- Select the appropriate mix of learning modalities to support specific contexts, learners, and learning objectives in both formal and informal learning settings.
- Identify the logistical tasks necessary to create a classroom environment that is conducive to effective face-to-face learning.
- Create facilitation plans that prepare you for a successful learner-centered event.
- Apply brain science to delivery strategies that address various learner preferences and cognitive needs in the learning environment.
- Select learning methods to support a variety of learning preferences to reach the desired learning outcomes.
- Demonstrate adult learning principles and effective facilitation techniques to assess and ensure a safe, comfortable, and supportive learning environment.
- Utilize a variety of facilitation techniques to create a professional and engaging learning experience.
- Use a variety of techniques to engage participants, communicate effectively, and manage group dynamics and behaviors during an event.
- Summarize techniques that can be used to develop and evaluate a variety of course materials designed with the learner and the learning objectives in mind.
- Apply best practices when selecting informal learning networks and tools to meet the needs of an organization.
ATD Education – Never Stop Learning
For more than 20 years, ATD education has been empowering talent development professionals with the knowledge and skills they need to be successful and remain competitive by offering best-in-class...
Delivery and Facilitation Are Vital Capabilities
Training delivery and facilitation is one of the 23 capabilities in the Association for Talent Development’s new Talent Development Capability Model, which encompasses the knowledge and skills TD...
Training & Facilitation Certificate Brochure
Download the brochure to learn everything you need to know about this course.
- Types of Learning—Learning Frameworks
- Types of Formal Learning
- Helping Learners Make the Most of the Experience
- Managing Logistics for a Smooth Event
- Creating the Ideal Learning Environment
- Understanding the Audience and Their Needs
- Creating a Facilitation Plan
- Prepare to Deliver Your Training
- Basics of Cognitive Science
- Addressing Variations in Learner Preferences and Cognition
- Understanding How Adults Learn
- Selecting Effective Delivery Options
- Delivering to Meet Learner’s Preferences
- Matching Learning Methods to Desired Outcomes
- Selecting Engaging Delivery Methods
- Presenting as a Professional
- Facilitation Roles and Styles
- Facilitation Techniques
- Creating a Positive Learning Environment Through Effective Facilitation
- Engaging Participants
- Engaging Facilitator Communications
- Creating a Safe and Comfortable Learning Environment
- Managing Conflict and Group Dynamics
- Designing Learner Materials With the Learner in Mind
- A Closer Look at Design
- Designing Materials to Assess Learning
- Evaluations: Kirkpatrick’s 4 levels
- Formative vs. Summative Evaluation
- What Is Informal Learning?
- Ways to Curate Informal Learning Content
- Facilitating Learning on the Job Opportunities
- Staying Up-to-Date With Technology and Industry Trends
New and experienced trainers and facilitators from any industry and those who want to gain a comprehensive skill set for facilitating and delivering instructor-led learning events will benefit from this program.
In addition to professional trainers and facilitators, training coordinators, training managers, learning consultants, instructional designers, independent consultanst, educators, or professors may benefit if facilitation is part of their job. Professionals with unique domain expertise who have been asked to teach others, customer/technical/software educators, or those who lead others may also find this program to provide valuable grounding in core training and facilitation concepts..
If you are training and facilitating in a virtual platform, such as Webex, Zoom, Adobe Connect, or Microsoft Teams, consider the Virtual Training & Facilitation Certificate.
"ATD has a wealth of resources and its facillitators know how to impact knowledge on participants."
"ATD is a fantastic resource for anyone in this profession!"
"This is the basic framework that anyone in the learning industry should know first hand."
Things to Know
For full-day face-to-face and live online programs, participation in all originally scheduled days of the program, including both face-to-face and live online formats, is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
For multi-week, live online programs with five or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. To be marked complete for that one session, please email [email protected]. For programs with four or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program for your reference.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit. Active participation in live online sessions includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device significantly limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Platform at the end of the program.
21.0 learning hours
2.1 CEUs awarded
This program is eligible for 21.0 professional development hours or recertification points from the ATD Certification Institute (ATD CI) for the APTD or CPTD credential.
This program has been approved for 21.0 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
This program is valid for 21.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrm.org/certification.
A laptop computer with Wi-Fi capability is required for both face-to-face and online programs. Please do not bring mobile devices (phones, tablets, etc.) in lieu of a laptop. There will be no computers available on-site for participants. Note: You might not have an optimal experience if you are using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge to access your courses. Chrome is the recommended browser.
ATD LEARNING PORTAL
Enrolled in a program? Sign in to the ATD Learning Portal with your ATD account credentials two weeks before the first day of class to:
- Engage with your facilitator and peers.
- Access pre-work assignments.
- View any technical requirements.
- Review logistical information.
Click here to review our cancellation policy.
ATD HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY
View our health protocols for in-person courses.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Have additional questions about ATD courses? Visit our FAQs for answers.