Before You Begin:
- Choose your certification
- Review the relevant certification handbook. Download the APTD Handbook or the CPLP Certification Handbook.
- Acquire an ATD Member/Candidate ID # and password. Contact ATD Customer Care at 800.628.2783 for assistance.
For New Applicants:
NOTE: If you will require special accommodations through the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact Diane Daly BEFORE beginning the application to obtain the required form and policy documents.
1. Enter the application system and input your ATD Member/Candidate ID # and password.
2. Click COMPLETE A FORM
3. Click APPLICATION
4. After completing the application, click COMPLETE A FORM again
5. Click KNOWLEDGE TEST APPLICATION
6. REGISTER for the exams
- Select two testing windows—Knowledge Exam and Skills Application Exam (SAE) (NOTE: A $300 fee applies if you transfer to new testing windows once selected)
- Select an Area of Expertise (AOE) for the SAE (NOTE: this cannot be changed once selected)
7. Enter payment
- Credit Card: input your card information and a receipt will appear onscreen after your payment is processed. Please print and keep for your records.
- Check: click the appropriate box and an invoice will appear onscreen, including mailing instructions. Please print the invoice, send a copy with your payment and keep a copy for your records.
NOTE: Candidates must complete all steps of the application process. Knowledge test forms that are incomplete or unpaid will be purged and rendered inactive from the database after 30 days.
For Returning Candidates:
Existing candidates have the ability to manage their own records:
1. Enter the system and enter your ATD Member/Candidate ID # and password
- The SUBMIT/ACCEPT button simply allows you to proceed through the system. The next step of the process will allow you to make corrections or updates.
2. If this is your first time logging in—since you applied or recertified—you will need to VERIFY AS A FIRST TIME USER.
3. Scroll down to the VERIFY section
4. Click SUBMIT/ACCEPT to modify your personal information
5. Click on the MY SUMMARY link on the left navigation menu and then the UPDATE button (upper right corner).
To transfer exam windows please call Virginia Sawall at 703.683.5842. She will research your candidate status and process your payment and registration fee if eligible to transfer. It is not possible to transfer test windows online.
If you need to retest for either exam call Virginia Sawall at 703.683.5842. She will research your candidate status and process your payment and registration fee if eligible to retest.
In all cases, confirmation emails will be sent when the process is complete.
Need assistance? Contact Virginia Sawall or call her at 703.683.5842. You may also contact ATD Customer Care at 800.628.2783 for assistance with your questions.