Scenario-Based E-Learning Certificate
Scenario-based e-learning (SBeL)—also known as problem-based learning or whole-task learning—is a highly interactive course design that puts the learner in the role of a problem solver responding to realistic workplace problems or situations. The lessons are built around a series of progressively complex workplace assignments or situations. Scenario-based e-learning is a proven method to build critical thinking skills and expertise in on-the-job tasks, especially those that may be unsafe or too infrequent to learn in the workplace.
Many contemporary job roles require problem-solving and critical thinking skills to take on new and unanticipated workplace challenges. Traditional training that uses a directive approach, while useful for procedural learning, lacks what is needed to build problem-solving skills. In addition, some work skills either cannot be practiced at all on the job (due to safety or other high-risk adverse consequences) or can only be learned over a long period of time.
Scenario-based e-learning presents employees with job-realistic situations that often use multimedia to solve them in a matter of minutes instead of days or weeks. This allows scenario-based e-learning to accelerate job competency.
- Identify when scenario-based e-learning can improve learning and job performance.
- Apply the process for designing and creating successful scenario-based e-learning.
- View examples of scenario-based e-learning from a variety of industries.
- Identify the key questions about course structure and development to address in SBeL designs.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in real time with your facilitator and classmates through interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards design sessions.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- E-Book: You will receive an electronic copy of Scenario-Based E-Learning by Ruth Clark.
- Project Requirement: Use content from your organization to create design documents and storyboards. You can use commonly available software such as Word and PowerPoint to create design documents and storyboards.
- Technical Requirements: The online version of this program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation is a completion requirement of ATD and includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This program is suitable for anyone who has designed or developed traditional e-learning and is looking for alternative approaches to build critical thinking skills or accelerate workplace expertise. It is also useful for individuals who have or are starting a scenario-based e-learning program, or who are exploring the potential of the approach. In-depth knowledge of programming or e-learning design is not necessary.
ATD education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organization development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the key features of a scenario-based e-learning design.
- Summarize evidence and rationale for a scenario-based e-learning course in your organization.
- Identify appropriate tasks and objectives for a scenario-based e-learning lesson.
- Complete a design plan for a scenario-based e-learning lesson.
- Draft a course structure diagram and storyboards for the project lesson.
- Online: 4 sessions, 12 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 14 CPLP recertification points for the face-to-face version and 12 CPLP recertification points for the online version. This program may be eligible for up to 14 APTD recertification points for the face-to-face version and 12 APTD recertification points for the online version. This program has been pre-approved for 12 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 12 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 1.4 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and any applicable credits.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
For programs with five or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with four or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program for your reference.
Click here to view our cancellation policy.