Designing Learning Certificate
Discover all of the tools necessary to develop powerful, bottom-line focused training. Using a human performance improvement approach to instructional design, you will learn best practices for conducting a needs assessment, job/task analysis, and course design and development using templates exclusive to ATD. Leave with a structured step-by-step process that can be immediately applied to the development of your own training programs.
Developed for participants new to instructional design or for those who want to gain a comprehensive skill set, this is the complete workshop for designing outcome-based training. The program content is based on key knowledge and actions defined by the ATD Competency Model Area of Expertise for Instructional Design. You will leave knowing how to design a complete program that aligns with your business goals, including participant guides, instructor guides, and other materials. In addition, you will have an opportunity to work on the design and development of your own training program throughout the workshop.
Find Out More:
- Facilitator Shannon Tipton blogs about the 5 Reasons I'm a Learning Design Geek and You Should Be Too.
Find out why facilitator Shannon Tipton values the Designing Learning Program:
- Gain a strong foundation in the needs analysis process to ensure your training initiatives are aligned with organization goals.
- Develop engaging instructional events that take human memory and learning processes into account.
- Create participant guides, facilitator guides, and supporting materials using templates provided in the workshop.
- Ensure your training has the impact you and your organization expect.
- Pre-Work: Choose one of your current training programs to work on during the workshop and read the ATD Infoline "Basics of ISD Revisited."
- Homework/Intersession Work: For the online program, intersession work includes a weekly online discussion forum, where you will post assignments and engage with your peers.
- Supplemental Resources: This program includes tools and templates to help you apply what you learned on the job.
- Technical Requirements:The online version of this program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
- Online Course Only: During the online program, you will collaborate in “real time” with your facilitator and classmates via interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards. In addition, you will have access to an online learning portal with discussion boards and program materials.
This course is designed for practitioners new to the field of instructional system design, or those wanting to apply the latest best practices to their course designs. Participation in the (change with TC new link) ATD Training Certificate Program is not a prerequisite.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Describe and apply the ADDIE model.
- Conduct a training needs assessment that aligns performance needs with organizational results.
- Select and use data collection techniques as part of the training needs assessment process.
- Demonstrate how to structure instructional events that address psychological learning processes.
- Apply the ROPES phases of instruction to construct effective learning events.
- Write complete learning objectives based on observable actions or behaviors.
- Select learning methods and media to support the attainment of learning objectives.
- Apply guidelines to the use of visuals, text, and audio in instructional materials.
- Create participant guides, facilitator guides, and supporting materials.
- Prepare reports that document the training needs assessment, program design, and recommendations for training implementation, including pilot tests and rollout.
- Develop an evaluation strategy for training initiatives.
Face-to-Face: 3 days
Online: 7 sessions, 21 hours total
On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 21 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 21 APTD recertification points. This program has been pre-approved for 21 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 21 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 2.1 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and 2.1 CEUs.
ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
For programs with five or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with four or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.