Essentials of Technical Training
How do you develop training that is highly technical, complex and specialized? And how do you make sure this training is engaging to learners and relevant to the business?
This program explores the aspects of course development that are most specifically relevant to technical training, with a heavy emphasis on real technical training examples and case histories. Throughout the program you will apply the tools and strategies to your own training project. Create your own interactive, engaging, motivating and memorable technical training today!
Technical training is a misunderstood, challenging and sometimes frustrating topic. However, with the right strategies, you can increase your chances for success when creating instruction for operational, tool-based, service-based and/or software training. In this program, we will explore the specific items that make technical training different from non-technical training. Discover needs analysis questions that are specific to technical organizations. Download a tool to categorize highly technical content so that training courses do not become cluttered with information overload. Create a framework for your technical training content so that it is remembered and applied on the job by your target audience. Cover theories, procedures and processes in a way that is motivating to your target audience. Whether you are working with an SME or developing on your own content, you can utilize specific tools, tips, templates and examples in order to create interactive and engaging technical training. No more death by technical PowerPoint!
Finally, this program will cover common challenges and solutions to technical training development – for example: projects that never get finished, technical content that is too complicated for most developers to understand, teaching products or procedures that are constantly in flux, etc. Most importantly, you will have a chance to discuss and generate solutions for your own technical training challenges. Bring your toughest technical training problem, and together, we will generate specific tips and strategies that are tailored to your situation. You will leave better prepared to effectively tackle your own technical training projects.
- Create technical training that has an impact to the organization.
- Provide training content that is interesting and engaging without “dumbing down,” or oversimplifying the material.
- Avoid information overload in training sessions.
- Motivate bored or reluctant technical learners.
- Benchmark and gain new strategies, tips and tricks for effectively creating highly specialized technical training.
- Interactive Format: During this online workshop, you will collaborate in “real time” with your facilitator and classmates via interactive group discussions, polls, chats, and whiteboards.
- Supplemental Resources: This workshop includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
The audience for this program is Instructional Designers, Curriculum Developers, Trainers, Training Managers, those who work with subject matter experts and even subject matter experts themselves. This interactive program will discuss various topics specific to technical training development. The audience is expected to already have an understanding of basic instructional design principles.
By the end of this program, participants will be able to will be able to:
- Develop a technical training session that meets both business and student needs.
- Apply best practices to conduct a technical needs analysis and to prioritize technical content.
- Create motivating and memorable technical content.
- Create interactive technical training.
- Implement practical solutions for your own technical training challenges.
- Online: 1 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program. However, viewing a recording will not count towards your completion.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.