Gain a strong foundation in adult learning principles and uncover how practice and preparation are the key to successful facilitation. Learn to foster learner engagement and enthusiasm, address the needs of all learners, leverage effective questioning techniques, and manage participant behaviors to lead to impactful sessions.
In this high-level introductory course, learn proven techniques for facilitating engaging and result-oriented training sessions. While training involves many competencies, this program emphasizes the art of facilitation. You will have the opportunity to deliver a practice facilitation session with feedback and coaching from the instructor and peers.
Find Out More:
Find out why facilitator Nadine Martin values the Introduction to Training program.
- Open every training session with punch.
- Make the connection between learning objectives and effective facilitation.
- Incorporate adult learning principles into all sessions.
- Understand the diversity of your various audiences and support learning methods for each.
- Recognize the importance of facilitation preparation and identify the critical components required in your context.
- Use the facilitation techniques and approaches from the workshop to improve on-the-job success.
- Pre-Work: Prepare for your practice facilitation in advance of the program.
- Homework: You may find it necessary to do some preparation for your skills practice outside of the classroom.
- Supplemental Resources: This program includes tools and templates to help you apply what you learned on the job.
This program is designed for those responsible for facilitating learning events. Professionals who have to train/facilitate periodically as part of their role, as well as those from outside the learning and development field are encouraged to attend.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Prepare properly for your learning programs.
- Apply effective techniques to engage all participants.
- Develop confidence for handling participant disagreements.
- Adapt to your audience and address the needs of every learner in the room.
- Facilitate with true confidence.
Face-to-Face: 1 days
On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .7 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 7 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 7 APTD recertification points. This program has been pre-approved for 7 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. This program is valid for 7 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrm.org/certification.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and .7 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive a completion certificate and .7 CEUs. All sessions will be recorded and available for participants to review throughout the program.
ATD requires active participation in our online program to receive credit for the program Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
For programs with 5 or more sessions, one missed live session can be made up by listening to the session recording in full. Participants who miss more than one live session will not be eligible to receive the certificate. For programs with 4 or fewer sessions, attendance at all live sessions is required to receive a certificate. If you meet the eligibility requirements, a certificate will be issued to you through the ATD Learning Portal at the end of the program.