Examine the keys to successfully leading virtual teams by creating communication pathways, setting expectations, and enabling collaboration. By thinking differently about how you approach virtual interactions and by understanding and employing behaviors that build trust within your team through communication, collaboration, consistency, and connection, you can create a motivating and productive workplace. Learn how leading virtually requires a different approach; it doesn’t have to be difficult.
If you don’t see all your employees every day, then whether you realize it or not, you are leading virtually. Mobile, remote, virtual, at home, or in a different office: It doesn’t matter what words you use. The way we work is changing. Unfortunately, all too often we’re not changing the way we work to match the new demands of this increasingly common way of working.
In this practical and interactive program, you will learn how to use your skills and knowledge as a people leader to help you effectively lead and collaborate virtually by adapting your behavior and approach to address the needs of your virtual colleagues. By building trust and consciously thinking about your information flow, you can create clear communication lines, encourage effective collaboration, implement consistency through setting and adhering to expectations, and build rapport and connection within your team.
- Use your increased awareness of virtual mindset and information flow to create a productive and collaborative work environment.
- Design and deliver meetings that meet the collaboration and communication needs of all participants.
- Collaborate with your team to create guidelines for successful virtual communications, collaboration, and meetings.
- Be a role model for your team by embodying virtual communication, collaboration, consistency, and connection best practices.
- Build trust within your team to improve credibility, communication, and productivity.
- Technical Requirements: Each session of the workshop is conducted in the WebEx Training Center platform with a toll-free teleconference or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) option for the audio component. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or phone severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program.
If you or your team work virtually some or all of the time, then this course is for you. Whether you’re a new or experienced leader, you and your team will benefit from the strategies and concepts you will be introduced to in this program.
ATD education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals—trainers, instructional designers, and organization development practitioners—but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resource specialists.
After this program, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of shared accountability in virtual interactions.
- Discuss how trust is built and maintained in a virtual setting.
- Develop effective communication pathways that support your entire team.
- Apply virtual meeting best practices.
- Set expectations with your team that address their productivity needs.
- Provide equitable opportunities for increased participation.
- Describe the importance of conscious information flow on a virtual team.
- Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their originally scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and .45 CEUs. Participants who fulfill this attendance requirement will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program. If you must miss a session, all sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program.