Essentials of Overcoming Challenging Classroom Behaviors
Challenging behaviors in the classroom can bring about a host of different feelings—fear, avoidance, humility, embarrassment, and frustration, to name a few. These behaviors in the classroom can compromise the learning outcomes and can be an even bigger blow to your confidence as a facilitator. Learning how to manage these moments demands a comprehensive approach that includes a consideration of the course design, the facilitator, and the learners. This program will help you identify the causes of challenging behaviors, determine the specific facilitation skills required to handle them, and lead you into your next learning event with a higher level of confidence.
Your materials are ready. Your technology has been tested. You’ve practiced the material inside and out. No matter how prepared you may feel, there can always be a participant who challenges you in unexpected ways. You need to be ready to pivot at every turn, regardless of the challenging behavior that presents itself. Learn about a variety of difficult behaviors and how to welcome a participant’s energy without indulging it. This program guides you through taking a comprehensive look at the classroom environment and identifying facilitation techniques to manage in the moment without compromising the learning. You will walk away with multiple job aids assisting in identifying challenging behaviors, shifting participant energy, and creating a self-developed reaction strategy. Each session will include practice opportunities to build your confidence in overcoming difficult behaviors.
- Gain confidence with interactive sessions utilizing paired chat, breakout rooms, and reflection activities to build your skills at managing the moment.
- Design an effective strategy to prepare for challenging behaviors.
- Apply tools to neutralize disruptions and ensure the learning event and your confidence as a facilitator stays intact.
- Interactive Format: During this online program, you will collaborate in “real time” with your facilitator and classmates via interactive group discussions, chats, breakouts, and whiteboards.
- Supplemental Resources: This program includes electronic tools and templates to help you apply what you learned as well as a self-defined Job Aid to assist with on-the-job performance.
- Technical Requirements: This program is conducted in the WebEx Training Center. Special software is not required. You only need a standard web browser and telephone or VoIP capability to participate. In addition, it is strongly recommended to use a desktop or laptop computer as using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate in the program. Active participation is a completion requirement of ATD and includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work.
This program is designed for those who facilitate instructor-led programs, primarily in the classroom. Elements of this program are also applicable for any facilitator-driven program, whether it is online or face-to-face.
ATD Education programs are designed primarily for learning professionals – trainers, instructional designers, and organizational development practitioners – but also greatly benefit anyone within an organization who is responsible for developing others, from managers to human resources specialists
After this program, you will be able to:
- Describe challenging classroom behaviors.
- Address challenging behaviors appropriately without indulging them.
- Adjust to challenging behaviors in the classroom with predefined strategies.
- Create and implement a personalized action plan to become more effective at overcoming challenges in the classroom.
- Identify concrete facilitation techniques to defuse challenging classroom behaviors.
- Apply tools to neutralize disruptions and ensure that the learning event stays on task.
- Online: 3 sessions, 4.5 hours total
- On-Site: Flexible dates & duration
Earn .45 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 CPLP recertification points. This program may be eligible for up to 4.5 APTD recertification points.
Participation in all online sessions at their currently scheduled day and time is mandatory to receive completion for the program and any applicable credits. Please note that viewing a recording will not fulfill the attendance requirement. Participants who fulfill all program requirements will see their completion status reflected on their transcript in the ATD Learning Portal and will receive an email verifying their completion of the program.
ATD requires active participation throughout the program to receive credit for the class. Active participation includes, but is not limited to, participating in virtual classroom activities, discussions, breakout sessions, and intersession work. Please note that using a tablet or mobile device severely limits your ability to fully and actively participate.
All sessions will be recorded and available in the Learning Portal for participants to review throughout the program for your review.
Have a group to train? Bring this Course On-site!
Give your team the unique team building experience tailored to your organization's needs. Contact us today to learn more.